Paying Fees for English Channel Swim

Is a wire transfer the only way to pay your piloting fees for the English Channel or other international swims? Curious thoughts on PayPal...seems that wire transfer has fees both going from your bank and coming into theirs? Not trying to nitpick but just not a fan of paying anything extra of course. I need to pay my 1st deposit for June 2021 swim.

gregoc

Comments

• AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

Waterlogged, My experience is that every captain is different. Most do the deposit by wire - then it is cash only after that. Most require cash in the local currency. Some require US dollars. Depends on the captain (or the organization when the organization and the captain are the same thing).

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Depends on the pilot, I think. Some take credit cards for the deposit, but almost all want cash for the actual swim. You lose on wire fees, credit card fees or exchange rates no matter what you do. I just factor that into the cost so it doesn't make me grumpy when it happens. :-)

slknight
  • miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber
    edited February 2020

I've just wired my deposit for my Sep 2021 attempt - the remainder will be due 2 days before the swim, £ cash only. The wire fee both ends combined are about £30 for the transaction. Therefore I'll stock up my £ savings in the coming year.

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

I paid my deposit via a wire transfer and the balance in Amex travelers checks. (2001, so pre PayPal)