Mercer Island Marathon Swim is taking a year off

We regret to announce that NOWSA will not be hosting the Mercer Island Marathon Swim in 2020.

Due to family and career commitments, as organizers we will not be able to dedicate the time it takes to run the event. We’re super proud of the work we’ve done so far, and the feedback we've received, but feel it is better to cancel the event than to give you something less than the best.

We hope to be able to return to this event in the future. We remain available for solo swims of Mercer Island and the remainder of the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Thank you for understanding,
Liz Rosen & Andrew Malinak

for the more complete version of this message, click HERE.

ssthomasCopelj26lakespraygregoc

Comments

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member

Liz and Andrew, thanks for putting on a excellent event! Hope somehow you can bring it back. In the meantime some excellent aerial views of Mercer Island and surrounding area can be seen in this video.

Solo
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Sorry to hear that you're taking a break. It's a really great setting for a swim and I have enjoyed playing a supporting role. One of these days I may even get motivated and do it as a swim rather than riding around the island on a boat.

BTW, love the Blue Angels clip. It's kind of amazing to watch how they subtly shift and move around as they are flying right next to each other. It's even more impressive than watching them from the ground, which is as cool as it gets when they go blasting right over your head.

MIMS takes 8 or 9 hours for normal people and the Blue Angels fly the length of the island in a few seconds. Kind of reminds me of the young college swimmer who joined me in my lane today. Home on vacation and just keeping wet doing a lazy workout... and scorching us old folks....

lakespray