How are you swimming into the New Year?

molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

While faffing about on a kickset with a couple of my pool buddies, we started brainstorming about swim sets for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We typically do 100 x 100 on either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. Once or twice we've done them on both days. So.... I suggested we consider swimming 20K on both New Years Eve and Day to appropriately usher in this momentous year with an equally momentous swim: 2020 for 2020! They were not amused...

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

Tagged:
SolososophiaphiaflystormsCathyInCAruth

Comments

• LeslieLeslie TexasMember
    edited November 2019

That would be insane! But just maybe.

• CathyInCACathyInCA Martinez, CASenior Member

"They were not amused..." Sounds completely logical to me :D

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Yeah, I don't think that's gonna fly - mostly because our pool is only open for 6 hours each of those days, lol. It would take me longer than that!

StLucia_ChannelMocoLoco

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I guess I'm a little late to this thread, but that's because I didn't know what I was going to do. And things just sort of materialized on the day of... So for the last day of the year I swam a workout in honor of 2020. 20x200 on the 200 seconds. So it was a nice mellow swim to finish up the year.

Then I was sort of intrigued by the sign at the pool about a polar plunge in my favorite lake on New Years day. I am most assuredly not a cold water swimmer. My cut off point has been 60F and even that requires me to do a lot of mental convincing. On New Years eve I was at a friends house and he was describing the health benefits of cold water immersion. So of course, that got me thinking some more. And on New Years day I found myself going for a swim in 48.5F water!

So, first of all, I learned that I could do it if I set my mind to it. Second, I learned that the gasp reflex is very real and I nearly did a big inhale underwater. This was after I had done my initial dive in and swim. When I did my second dive, I thought that I'd be all fine and I nearly screwed up. Thirdly, I learned that when I'm in a completely unfamiliar situation, I don't swim all that well. My stroke was a spastic mess and I have no idea what I was doing. Third, while I was cold, it felt OK. Except for my feet. They were freezing and then when I was walking out of the water and on to the beach it was like walking on glass. I really didn't like that part of it.

But the whole thing was exhilarating as heck and I pushed a new boundary on the first day of 2020. I'm going to play around with some more cold water swimming just for kicks. Maybe this will help me get in the lake earlier this year. And it will make those mid 70F days seem like absolute heaven.

Happy New Year to all and enjoy pushing your own boundaries this year.

molly1205StLucia_ChannelSoloPaigeKiedingflystormswendyv34