Sarah Thomas documentary film "The Other Side" launched on Kickstarter

2»

Comments

• michael_millermichael_miller Minneapolis, MNMember

Absolutely stunning. Here is a BBC News story:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-49724851

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I vote for this as the understatement of the year.

She said she planned to sleep for the rest of the day, adding: "I'm pretty tired right now."

Copelj26PaigeKiedingIronMikeSara_WolfflystormsMvGCathyInCA
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@flystorms said:

@curly said:
    As far as I'm concerned, it is art. She is painting the freakin' channel. Absolutely beautiful!

We need a T-shirt with the final tracks on it!

I would buy shirts for my whole family!

Copelj26Sara_Wolfflystorms

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

@rlm said:
    & then there's that sleep challenge!!! Just try to stay awake for 45 hours.

I have trouble after 20 hours awake. ;)

Spacemanspiff

@curly said:
    I vote for this as the understatement of the year.

She said she planned to sleep for the rest of the day, adding: "I'm pretty tired right now."

This quote needs to be on the t-shirst that @flystorms proposed!

Copelj26Kate_Alexander

• michael_millermichael_miller Minneapolis, MNMember

Kudos to cnn, for stating 'first person' (to do this), and for them to credit Evan's tracker on their graphics in the story. Data visualist Edward Tufte would be proud.

IronMikeflystormsCopelj26MvG
  • Sara_WolfSara_Wolf Member
    edited September 2019

@michael_miller said:
    Kudos to cnn, for stating 'first person' (to do this), and for them to credit Evan's tracker on their graphics in the story. Data visualist Edward Tufte would be proud.

Yes!
    Tufte would indeed be proud!

Edited to add: Did anyone else notice that the story is posted in their "Travel" section? Not sports.

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

Honest question: The sharp left turn she made at the end, do we know if the tide changed on her, or if she was just sprinting for "home" to finish in Dover?

And, holy shit, what a swim

• @timsroot said:
    Honest question: The sharp left turn she made at the end, do we know if the tide changed on her, or if she was just sprinting for "home" to finish in Dover?

And, holy shit, what a swim

^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said!!!

• Ok.....this is my favorite headline yet:

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/9/17/20870777/sarah-thomas-english-channel-swim-four-times-in-a-row

"Sarah Thomas is an American badass"

Yup...... that's the truth.

IronMikeflystorms
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2019

@timsroot said:

Yes, the tide turned so they went for the closest beach (Shakespeare).

Annabel Lavers captured this extraordinary live video of the finish:

link

Sarah does things that are hard to believe, even when you see her do it with your own eyes. I'll always cherish the 67 hours I spent on a boat watching her swim in Lake Champlain. Reading my own report about it two years later, I can still hardly fathom it.

Her EC Quad was not quite as long, but the 5-6F colder water is enormously tough over that duration, and she had worse sustained conditions on this one. Plus the EC being what it is - the sport's most iconic water - I'd have to think this is our sport's closest equivalent of Alex Honnold free-soloing El Cap.

What an amazing human, in so many ways.

abbygirlroserlmIronMikecurlyflystormsKatieBunCopelj26SololakespraySwimmersuzKate_AlexanderMvGCathyInCALakeBaggerStephenArgentdpm50
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

So did Cameron only the longest Channel Swim distance for a few hours before Sarah blew it away with her mileage? Or will these be counted differently?

@evmo said:

Her EC Quad was not quite as long, but the 5-6F colder water is enormously tough over that duration, and she had worse sustained conditions on this one. Plus the EC being what it is - the sport's most iconic water - I'd have to think this is our sport's closest equivalent of Alex Honnold free-soloing El Cap.

So true. Cannot wait for the movie. And @flystorms t-shirt. I'll take an XL.

flystorms

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

Thanks for the clarification, @evmo I figured something like that, but the chart looked a little weird

• MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

I had norovirus from the start of Cameron's swim, through the entire duration of Sarah's swim, and into yesterday - so I'll just say that I never realized how long hours could be.

What an amazing long weekend for the sport. What amazing accomplishments.

dpm50
  • Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

@evmo said:

Plus the EC being what it is - the sport's most iconic water - I'd have to think this is our sport's closest equivalent of Alex Honnold free-soloing El Cap.

Yes, exactly!

rlm
  • pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member

@evmo said:
    Plus the EC being what it is - the sport's most iconic water - I'd have to think this is our sport's closest equivalent of Alex Honnold free-soloing El Cap.

My new wish, with all due respect, is that Sarah is going to be featured in next issue of Body Issue of ESPN as Alex Honnold was in 2019. She deserves the full honor and attention as any other athlete. She is amazing and I would be super excited to see her among the most amazing athletes on the planet!

rlmSoloLakeBaggerSwimmersuzIronMikerosemarymintKatieBunflystormsBridgetdpm50

@pavlicov said:

@evmo said:

My new wish, with all due respect, is that Sarah is going to be featured in next issue of Body Issue of ESPN as Alex Honnold was in 2019. She deserves the full honor and attention as any other athlete. She is amazing and I would be super excited to see her among the most amazing athletes on the planet!

I'd say Outside magazine too, but then they did that fawning and sycophantic article of what's-her-name...

flystorms

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

I didn't realize how much this swim would capture the attention of the world. The days since the swim have been just bonkers.

Sara_WolfSoloIronMikerosemarymintrlmpavlicovSwimmersuzlakesprayMoCothelittlemerwookieMvGTory1340dpm50

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• I did bridges to bluffs this weekend......and MANY MANY of the starting swimmers were talking about Sarah’s swim. Several first timers at the 10k distance used, “If Sarah Thomas can swim 4x English Channel, surely I can swim 6 miles today,” to get ready to jump from the riverboat. Everyone was so impressed and happy and in awe of her accomplishment.

@emkhowley said:
    I didn't realize how much this swim would capture the attention of the world. The days since the swim have been just bonkers.

IronMikerlmflystormsStLucia_ChannelBridgetdpm50
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2019

T-shirts as requested:

https://teespring.com/msf-fall-2019

• Colors: black and blue
    • Premium cotton only
    • Unisex and women's v-neck

lakesprayKate_AlexanderCopelj26SoloSara_WolfrlmIronMikeMvGSwimmersuzsmithTory1340MoCoSpacemanspiffflystormsdpm50

@evmo said:
    T-shirts as requested:

Love it!! Thanks for creating it!

Kari

Thanks @ssthomas for letting us walk around with your 54 hours of pain and puking on our backs. ;)

Sara_WolfCopelj26flystormsemkhowleydpm50

Got my t-shirt in the mail yesterday and wore it to practice this morning. Love it! thanks for making them.

Sara_WolfevmossthomasabbygirlroseIronMikerlm

Got mine this afternoon and will be wearing it ALL WEEKEND!

• Got mine too.....but there’s a big hole in the seam on the side. How is tee spring for returns?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2019

Definitely contact Teespring for a refund/return if there's any problem with your order:

http://answers.teespring.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1710937-returns-refunds-cancellations-amendments