Sarah Thomas documentary film "The Other Side" launched on Kickstarter

emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

Jon Washer of Jon Washer Photography (who provided photography at last year's Boston Light Swim) and I have been working on creating a documentary film about @ssthomas' upcoming four-way English Channel swim slated for next month. It's been quite the adventure taking this foray into filmmaking--it's a brand new thing for me. But we wanted to share the Kickstarter page with you if you're interested in supporting the project. We have a teaser video on the Kickstarter page which gives a small taste of what we hope to create with this film about Sarah Thomas, which I personally think is long overdue. Thank you to those of you who have already supported this project!

• *Note: donations are going to fund the production of the film, not Sarah's swim itself. *

Stop me if you've heard this one...
A grasshopper walks into a bar...
https://elainekhowley.com/

evmossthomasgregocrlmlakesprayIronMikedpm50JSwimabbygirlrosepavlicovand 4 others.

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Member

Pretty sure seeing myself on camera makes me more nervous and nauseous than actually thinking about swimming the Channel a few times...

emkhowleyevmogregocIronMikeJSwimpavlicovcurlyMvGPaigeKieding
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member

I’m pretty sure 4 is more than a few. 😉

rlmMoCoIronMikeAnthonyMcCarleyJSwimSolorosemarymintthelittlemerwookiecurlyemkhowley
  • pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member
    edited August 14

4 is not just more than a few, 4 is epic!!!

rlmSoloemkhowleygregocrosemarymintIronMikethelittlemerwookieflystorms
  • Tracy_ClarkTracy_Clark Norwich, United Kingdom (from Auckland, New Zealand)Member

I'll probably be tracking you from the Channel!! Wishing you the weather you deserve Sarah !!

IronMikethelittlemerwookie
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WAMember

The scary part is that 4 laps is proof of concept for some nut to finally attempt an I.M. Go Sarah Go!

rosemarymintMvGflystormsemkhowley
  • evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited August 15

I wonder sometimes if we've become desensitized by the massive swims by Sarah, Caroline, Chloe, & others.

A one-way English Channel launched this sport and remains its archetypal challenge. For many it is the swim of a lifetime.

I am always super-impressed by two-way English Channel swims. There are 1 or 2 each year, and I consider them among the top swims in the sport in a given year.

A three-way English Channel swim is an incredibly rare, historical feat. The only 4 swimmers who have done it (Erikson, Rush, Streeter, McCardel) are absolute all-time legends who were at the peak of their powers. And many more have tried and failed.

A four-way English Channel?!?!?!

I don't even know how to conceptualize this, it's so far out of this world. But if anyone can pull it off, Sarah's who I'd pick.

pavlicovrosemarymintSara_WolfrlmcurlySwimmersuzMvGKatieBunkejoycesmithand 7 others.
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WAMember

@evmo said:
    I wonder sometimes if we've become desensitized by the massive swims by Sarah, Caroline, Chloe, & others.

I don't even know how to conceptualize this, it's so far out of this world. But if anyone can pull it off, Sarah's who I'd pick.

I remember when Mark Spitz won 7 Olympic Gold Medals. At the time it was absolutely mind boggling that anyone could achieve something like this. It was on the level of breaking the 4 minute mile, which was impossible until it wasn't. Now there are high school kids who have done it. And no one will equal Michael Phelps in the Olympics... until someone does.

Human beings continue to strive and achieve massive undertakings. I don't know that we are becoming desensitized as much as we are always cheering on the next impossible task. All the swimmers you mentioned above have set exceedingly high marks. I remember when Sarah's 80 miler was an insane distance, only to have her eclipse it the next year. It's what makes us interesting little creatures.

As someone who can safely say I will never swim the Channel, I don't believe I'm desensitized as much as I am confident in the ability of those who strive to achieve the impossible.

MvGrlmsmithIronMikeJSwimSoloemkhowleygregocssthomas
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaMember

Endurance sports are moving in a different direction. Recently watched a documentary about a young lady who won a 240 mile running race. 100 mile races seem almost routine. It is somewhat mind boggling.

As far as the past relative to the English Channel, Philip Rush's 3 way is akin to Bob Beamon's long jump record. The speed is beyond comprehension, especially the first two legs. I believe the tides went against him on the 3rd leg. 7:55-8:15-12:11.

I'll definitely support the documentary. The clip is excellent. Needless to say, this goes beyond courage, intelligence, guts, and tenacity. Great respect to Sarah and all involved. Quite inspiring from myriad perspectives.

rlmSoloemkhowley

Keep moving forward.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Member

@smith said:

As far as the past relative to the English Channel, Philip Rush's 3 way is akin to Bob Beamon's long jump record. The speed is beyond comprehension, especially the first two legs. I believe the tides went against him on the 3rd leg. 7:55-8:15-12:11.

I was able to talk to Philip about his three way a little bit this year when I did the Cook Strait. For his third leg, he said they had him swim up and down the coast for 20-3 hours until the tide changed and he could go forward. Brilliant piloting and I can't even comprehend how fast he was on that swim. THAT is definitely a mark that will stand for a long time.