Texas calendar?

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I noticed there is no MSF calendar that covers Texas?! I've searched the Gulf Texas LMSC for open water events as I'm going to be in that area in late July and found diddley-squat.

Anyone have a link to OW events in Texas?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Comments

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

That's because there's diddley-squat going on down here in late July. The lakes are brown and hot by then, like swimming in stew.

IronMikeflystorms

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

True SpaceMan! Mike, skip the LMSC and just google Open water race Texas and a few come up. Plus, it depends on where you go in TX. It's huge!!!

Looks like anything in July is related to a tri club but here's one http://owschallenge.com/ .

Other races throughout the year worth looking at are the Lake Travis relay near Austin. If you don't have a team, email the RD and she may be able to put together a team of singles. It's a fun race.

Snapping Tortuga is near Houston and usually not bad.

IronMike
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Thanks guys. I will say that I'll be in the College Station and Houston areas around 17-31 July, if anyone wants to get together for some OW swimming!

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

I'll be in the Austin/San Antonio area, staying on Lake LBJ, from July 7-13th.
    We can swim right from the house if anyone is interested.

flystorms
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@SydneD said:
    I'll be in the Austin/San Antonio area, staying on Lake LBJ, from July 7-13th.
    We can swim right from the house if anyone is interested.

Dang. Missing you by 4 days!

SydneD

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

Bummer!! Next time!

IronMike
  • EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

If you get back to the Austin area in October there is the five lakes in five days "Tex Robertson Swim". Lake temperatures are allegedly in the high 60s to low 70s. I'm planning on giving it a shot this year. By the way, good luck at BLS, it is an awesome swim.

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

@Ellis said:
    If you get back to the Austin area in October there is the five lakes in five days "Tex Robertson Swim". Lake temperatures are allegedly in the high 60s to low 70s. I'm planning on giving it a shot this year. By the way, good luck at BLS, it is an awesome swim.

Will see you there. I try to do this one every year.

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• @Spacemanspiff said:

@Ellis said:

Will see you there. I try to do this one every year.

Are these courses considered kayak-supported? or, swimmer navigated? Looking at options for me in the future where I have friends/family as possible goals.

• EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

Are these courses considered kayak-supported? or, swimmer navigated? Looking at options for me in the future where I have friends/family as possible goals.

The first swim (4 miles in Lake Buchanan) requires accompaniment by a kayaker, the remaining four swims are kayaker optional.