Reto Acapulco?

Has anyone done this? Any info to share?

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

I’m sure it is a popular event for Mexico OW swimmers but unfortunately many I know are not active on this forum.
    Shall I send you an introduction email?

SydneD

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

They have a fairly active FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/Reto-Acapulco-Aguas-Abiertas-262230240599038/

The founder/organizer, Dulce Belmar, is very friendly and kindly sent me well formatted results for the past 9 years, see here: https://longswims.com/events/reto-acapulco/

She can be reached on FB or by concatenating her first and last name and adding gmail.

BogdanZ
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member

@david_barra
    That would be awesome! I am having to reorient my swim season based upon, ahem, the tax scam. We had planned for a swim in Greece, and now, it's not in the cards. But Mexico is such an easy and inexpensive flight, we think we can make it work.

@evmo Yes! I have checked out their FB page and done my best with my, um, let's say rudimentary Spanish. So far, it sounds really good. I've done some open water in Mexico, but just on my own and not in that area. Glad to hear that the results come to you and are well done. That speaks well of the whole event!

• GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

@SydneD said:
    Has anyone done this? Any info to share?

Hi Sydne - I did "El Reto III", which is the longest version of 22K in Nov'17. You start at about 3am, swim 11K across Acapulco Bay, then touch the sand in the beach for up to 10min, and back. English Channel rules. Super hot swim, both water and air temperature, and a few jellies but nothing major. Wind can pick up in the morning so the way back could be challenging. You can also do "El Reto II", which is only the 11K on the way back in the morning or "El Reto I", which is a 6.4K swim. Best OWS community ever, super helpful, welcoming and caring. Drop me a line if you need any other specific info. Cheers

SydneDIronMike
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

Acapulco? Brave.

@GlobalSwimmer

This all sounds great!! I would definitely want to do the 22K, and warm water is my happy place!
    My husband will be in Rwanda so I wonder if they have other kayak support available? I'd have to find someone.

flystorms
  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

@SydneD said:
    @GlobalSwimmer

This all sounds great!! I would definitely want to do the 22K, and warm water is my happy place!
    My husband will be in Rwanda so I wonder if they have other kayak support available? I'd have to find someone.

No kayaks, there is a small boat assigned to every swimmer and included in the fee, where you can keep your food and drinks. They do the matching which is great as you don't have to worry about it at all. You'll love it!

SydneDBogdanZIronMike

@GlobalSwimmer said:

No kayaks, there is a small boat assigned to every swimmer and included in the fee, where you can keep your food and drinks. They do the matching which is great as you don't have to worry about it at all. You'll love it!

This is sounding better and better! Hmmmmm.

BogdanZIronMike
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

Great! A new destination on the map.