What are your swimming goals for 2019?

2»

Comments

• MLambyMLamby Senior Member

@flystorms said:

@MLamby said:
    It's official! (Well mostly). Melodee Nugent and I will be attempting to become the first man and woman to make a documented double crossing of Lake Geneva Wisconsin on July 23. Fingers crossed!

Ooohhh this is exciting! Melodee is so strong mentally. I'll be cheering for you down here.

Absolutely. I'm honored to have her include me in this. She'll be able to finish and have some lunch by the time I get in. :) I'm nervouscited about it. It will be my longest swim to date, and will be very cool to have a registered swim for both of us.

SoloflystormsCopelj26IronMike
  • ArgentArgent UtrechtMember

I'm currently training for a 12 kilometer swim along the coastline of the IJsselmeer in the Netherlands. My swim will be in early September and it will be the first time that I will swim alongside a boat.

I'm currently trying to ramp up the training hours. I have 4 practice swims of an hour under supervision of a coach per week. I want to add a fifth or replace a 4th training with a longer swim that I do by myself, to really practice long swims. I find it hard to swim for a long time on my own discipline however.

Next to that I will experiment with foods for the first time properly. I bought some gels to try out and have been reading up on the literature out there to explore food ideas.

I see the 12km swim as a challenge, but also as a necessary first step to do an IJsselmeer crossing next year (22 KM). Who knows what comes after that, the Channel?

Copelj26SoloKatieBunPasqualeBogdanZIronMike
  • polka_stripespolka_stripes Sacramento, CAMember

Met my goal for 2019: successfully and, almost more importantly, joyfully! swam alcatraz this past week. That was really my only swimming goal for the year, so I'll spend the rest of this summer and fall keeping up my training and putting together a plan for 2020!

Sara_WolfMLambyKate_AlexanderKatieBunrlmthelittlemerwookieSolo
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Still working on the logistics of my RI swim- but hoping for August 14, if anyone wants a front row seat. :smiley:

Have a boat rental place, still working on details regarding current/tides/start-time and direction. Will be volunteering at a local Ten K this Saturday- sharing the joy. :smiley:

Solo
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member

If all goes well my next swim is the Murshidabad (India) Swim Competition on 25 August:
    http://www.murshidabadswimming.in/

An 81-kms river swim, fortunately current-assisted but still, to tell by past results, a solid 11-13 hours of hard swimming in presumably very warm water. Water quality unknown, and I think I prefer to keep it that way...

Communication with the organisers has been a bit slow and fragmentary, but I did manage to send in the paperwork and although I have received no confirmation of receipt I assume that I am in.

What I look forward to most: getting to know and swim with mostly local (west-Bengal) swimmers. Quite a logistical adventure to get there too, coming from Pakistan (my current place of assignment) by car to Amritsar, flying from there through Delhi to Kolkata, and another 200 kms by train or rental car....

I'll try and post something after the swim.

evmoSoloKate_AlexanderMLambyKatieBunSydneDBogdanZemkhowleyCopelj26JSwim
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

@MvG said:
    If all goes well my next swim is the Murshidabad (India) Swim Competition on 25 August:
    http://www.murshidabadswimming.in/

An 81-kms river swim, fortunately current-assisted but still, to tell by past results, a solid 11-13 hours of hard swimming in presumably very warm water. Water quality unknown, and I think I prefer to keep it that way...

Communication with the organisers has been a bit slow and fragmentary, but I did manage to send in the paperwork and although I have received no confirmation of receipt I assume that I am in.

What I look forward to most: getting to know and swim with mostly local (west-Bengal) swimmers. Quite a logistical adventure to get there too, coming from Pakistan (my current place of assignment) by car to Amritsar, flying from there through Delhi to Kolkata, and another 200 kms by train or rental car....

I'll try and post something after the swim.

I feel like @MvG is the most interesting swimmer in the world.

IronMikeslknightBogdanZevmokejoyceSoloKatieBunCopelj26JSwimMvGKate_AlexanderMoCo

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    edited August 2019

LOL!! 😆😆

@emkhowley Just making the best of the circumstances I guess. I prefer (much) colder swims, but no training opportunities for that here (Pakistan), where I train in 28-30°C water.
    Also, since achieving O7 is getting more and more difficult not because of the swims themselves but because of border issues (Gibraltar), pilot whims, and long waiting lists, I might as well go for other more 'eccentric' swims, swim with people I would not otherwise meet, and come home with parasites I would not otherwise encounter. 😜

Copelj26evmoKatieBunrlmJSwimSoloKate_AlexanderkejoyceIronMike