Goals!?

I just completed my first marathon swim race at the FKCC Swim Around Key West. I have been training for over two years, mostly in pools and three marathon distance lake training swims. I am hooked now. Training is difficult because I live in Wisconsin and work two jobs, but I do what I have to in order to get in the water. I finished Key West in 6:19:36. My question is....what now? What should be my next goal? I am 52. I love both warm and cold water swimming. My final prep swim for Key West was an eight mile jaunt across Lake Geneva Wisconsin with no wet suit or aid of any kind. Water temp was 60 degrees....three weeks later was 90 in Key West. I am just wanting to know, from all you awesome people who actually know what you are doing....what should my next race goal be? I train so much better with a target in front of me. :) Maybe some of you also have that same dilemma? What next? :)

SoloCopelj26

Comments

• I’m with you need a goal in order to train indoors through the winter. This year it was 1 mile on the hour for 24 hours still in the recovery stages from this success. 2019 aiming for a straight non stop 24 hours.

flystorms
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Find a body of water near you, especially if it hasn't been swum yet, and set your sights on that. It is a whole other thing to have to worry about permits, support, history and all that. You'll have the distance and conditions to train for in the pool/OW, but then the rest of your free time will be filled with all the other things. I guess I'm making it sound bad, but it isn't. I had a helluva time figuring out lake Issyk Kul. I loved all the planning. I'm sure there is a body of water near you that is simply screaming to be crossed!

MLambySolo

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• MLambyMLamby Senior Member

Absolutely. This is what I have been doing, and how I was able to get ready for FKCC. I will for sure continue to do so once I can get back in the water. All the best!

Copelj26