Sharkbanz

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

This popped up on my FB recently. Anyone used this product? I did a quick search here and found a thread where someone said Rainie might have worn one?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Tagged:

Comments

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

@IronMike I know she had them on the boat but pretty sure @Ranie did not have one on at the time of her "visit" as she was waiting for night to put it on...she said they are heavy and she didn't want to swim with it during daylight. Not sure how much she's on here - let me know if you have further questions and I can ask her to come on or post her response. Thanks!

IronMike
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I thought I remember talking to her about it and she said she had on two- one on her wrist and one on her ankle. But, Jaimie probably knows better than I do! @Ranie should come clarify for us! :-)

@Ranie will confirm.

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Jaimie is correct. They were on the boat a the time of the "visit."

ssthomasIronMike
  • RanieRanie Orinda, CAMember

I did have the Sharkbandz. The Nice people there gave me two. One for the wrist and one for the opposite ankle. But I didn't get them early enough in my training to get used to them and I was worried that they might be too heavy for a 20+ hour swim. So being careful, I decide that I would put them on at dusk and wear them through the night. I really wish I could have had my wits about me to put them on once the sharks were spotted, but that was not the case.
    I lent them to my friend Cameron Bellamy and he wore them for his Molokai swim.
    I have no idea if I could have stayed in the water with them on, but I would like to go back and find out.

ssthomasDanSimonelliJaimiedpm50IronMike
  • RanieRanie Orinda, CAMember

The Sharkbandz are not too heavy, I just would have felt more comfortable is I had gotten to train with them. They are not expensive, I think they are worth a try. I will use them if I get the chance to try Molokai again...

ssthomasJaimieKatieBunIronMikej9swim

@Ranie I hope you try again if you want to.

ssthomas
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

i wear mine every time i go in the ocean in SC. our gray suit guys are relatively small but every year or 2 someone gets bit. I was wondering if they are sanctioned to wear on an MSF approved swim, we've got some pretty islands around here i may want to circumnavigate. @evan ???

dpm50rosemarymintIronMike
  • sarahcassidysarahcassidy Las Vegas, NVMember

Bumping this old thread to see if anyone else has tried the Sharkbanz, what your experience(s) with it was, and whether you'd recommend them or not?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Just seeing @j9swim's post now... to answer her question - Sharkbanz and other non-harmful shark deterrents are allowed by MSF Rules. Anything that harms marine wildlife is prohibited by MSF Rules.

KarenTdpm50
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

I went to the Sharkbanz website to check it out yesterday. EVERY ad on my computer and phone today is from Sharkbanz. LIKE.....DOZENS of ads. SO, if you want to repel ads, maybe don't visit their site. LOL. All the best!

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

@MLamby said:
    I went to the Sharkbanz website to check it out yesterday. EVERY ad on my computer and phone today is from Sharkbanz. LIKE.....DOZENS of ads. SO, if you want to repel ads, maybe don't visit their site. LOL. All the best!

My problem with a lot of sites I visit. One night, I was awake at some odd hour, maybe posting on FB or something, and next thing I knew, I was getting ads for insomnia relief.

MLamby