Feeding In Warm/Hot Water Swims

smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
I'm doing a 13K next month, and it looks like the water temperature will probably be over 82 degrees. I've done several 10-11,000 pool workouts in 84-85 degree water with some tough sets (for me). For instance, 75 x 100s (SCY) on the 1:20 & 1:25. I used G2 & Cytomax, taking an extra 30-45 seconds rest between a set of 10 or 15. I was holding 1:08 - 1:10 through most of the 100s, and then started to falter quite a bit around the 66th 100....1:12, 1:13, with one getting as high as 1:15.

Any pearls of wisdom regarding proper feeding in high temperature swims?

Keep moving forward.

Comments

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    My advice: drink lots of water, and cold water if you can get it.
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member
    Partially freeze some of your feed in your bottles the night before and fill the rest in the morning. Keep them in a cooler to ensure your feeds are chilled. Consider increasing the amount you'd typically bring (and the frequency of feedings) and don't be afraid to dilute your mix down a bit if you don't want that many calories. Be careful not to drink too chilled as that could cause stomach cramps. Definitely increase the amount of water AND electrolytes because you will be sweating, whether you realize it or not. If at all possible, wear a light-colored suit to keep as little heat energy from the sun from absorbing into your suit. And keep an eye out for heat exhaustion. Signs include flushed skin, cramping, vomiting, etc. I've had it in the water before and it's awful. It even caused me to have to be pulled early from the Chesapeake Bay swim last year.

Morning of, make sure you are very well hydrated with liquid AND electrolytes.

Basically, the same sort of tips for running in hot weather.
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Thanks a bunch for the advise!!! Very helpful. I have a kayaker, so that will make it easier.

Keep moving forward.

• WaterGirlWaterGirl Scottsdale, AZCharter Member
    Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time in hot water. I find it pretty unpleasant, but I haven't had the same experience as @rosemarymint. I normally consume 8-9 oz of fluid and 100 calories per hour. That doesn't seem to vary, regardless of the water temperature. I keep my feeds in 20-oz bottles and take as much as I want on every feed. It turns out that I always end up taking about the same amount.

I like to use a lycra cap (thin swimsuit material) when it's hot out. Much cooler than latex or silicone.

The only time I've consumed extra fluid was a 6-hour swim in 85-degree water. The air temperature was 85 at the start, 110 at the finish. I tried salt tablets which I hated. On that day, I took in an extra 4-oz of plain water per hour. I think that's because of the salt tablets.

As long as my feeds stay relatively cool, I don't have any problems. For the last hour or two of the swim I mentioned above, my feeds got hot (like tea), and I refused to take them. Things went downhill after that.

I bring extra water and food. I freeze some of the feeds and all of the water. I also include a partially frozen feed and an unfrozen feed just in case. Cold feeds taste great to me. I don't get cramps like @rosemarymint.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    WaterGirl, this is great info, wish I'd had it for MIMS. This for me is as alien as you reading my cold water posts!

loneswimmer.com

• Just saw this now..... I swam the Sea of Galilee in Sept 2014 - 22km in 30c water and 36c air temp. Totally out of my usual Robben Island 12-14c sea temps. The 1st few hours I fed normally - Maxim every 30 mins. For the last 3 hours I switched to ice water every 15 mins. was fine at the end but very hungry.