Lake Traverse Michigan Swim Across Sleeping Bear Bay?

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with swimming the lakes in that area. I am planning a series of swims near Traverse City, specifically Sleeping Bear Bay. Was hoping anyone had any insight into that. Thanks!

Jaimie

Comments

• jendutjendut Charter Member

I did the length of Torch Lake a couple of years ago- I know it is close to Traverse City... we found that for an area full of lakes there was a surprising lack of people actually crossing them!

gregocJaimie
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

Most people tend to think the water is too cold, so they think people who swim around there for more than a few minutes are weird. I spent some time near there in Torch Lake and Grand Traverse Bay over the summer and it was surprisingly quiet in terms of boat traffic. Maybe that was my luck on week days. The water in general was incredibly warm, very rare in those parts, and Torch Lake, was so warm it was too hot for me to swim for very long. But get a good wind and that will change quickly.

I would imagine you'd be fine with just a kayaker, but be warned that boaters really don't expect human beings to be in the water without life preserves and floaty toys. I imagine there are shore currents, but don't know how strong they'd be.

• Four of us swam the length of Lake Charlevoix quite a few years ago. Also, we swam the circumference of Mackinac Island twice. I would highly recommend swimming around the Island. The views from the water are spectacular! I want to swim the length of the Mackinac Bridge but finding it difficult to get the authorities to return my emails regarding permissions.

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

Patrice said:
    I want to swim the length of the Mackinac Bridge but finding it difficult to get the authorities to return my emails regarding permissions.

They used to have an organized swim every Labor Day, but they canceled it this year because there weren't enough registrations. Look up Mighty Mac Swim. If they aren't going to resurrect it, then maybe their organizer can help you with contacting authorities.

Jaimie
  • Sarah4140Sarah4140 DenverMember

hemlocky_ergot said:
    I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with swimming the lakes in that area. I am planning a series of swims near Traverse City, specifically Sleeping Bear Bay. Was hoping anyone had any insight into that. Thanks!

I don’t have experience with Lake Michigan but have done some swimming in Lake Superior around Marquette, Michigan. As you probably know, the Great Lakes are serious business! Anyway suggest you find a local boat captain and ask for input on currents and weather patterns. These folks are often a wealth of info.