Now Available! 2017 MSF Annual Photo Calendar

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited November 2016 in General Discussion

The 3rd annual MSF Photo Calendar is now available for purchase:

http://marathonswimmers.org/photo-calendar/2017

Thank you to everyone who submitted images. This was the toughest year yet to narrow it down to 13 (12 months plus the cover). @loneswimmer, any other comments on the process?

Congratulations to the selected photographers, who will receive complimentary calendars:

• Ken Classen
  • Danny Burrows (2)
  • Mariza Cloete
  • Bruno Hervas
  • Manuela Jessel (on Abigail Fairman's camera)
  • Lynn Kubasek
  • Michael Dobrzensky
  • Niles Furlong (on Anthony McCarley's camera)
  • Siobhan Russell (3)
  • Andrew Malinak

One calendar costs a flat $20 USD, inclusive of tax & shipping. Discounts are available for multi-calendar purchases ($19 for the 2nd, $18 for the 3rd, and so on). There is a $3 international shipping surcharge for orders going outside the U.S.

There is an option to add MSF stickers and/or magnets to your order - they will arrive in the same shipment.

Here is the cover image, courtesy of @lakespray. This is @ssthomas on her Lake Powell swim.

Again, here's the link to preview and/or purchase:

Thanks for supporting MSF!

IronMikeloneswimmerChrisgreeneKatieBunAnthonyMcCarleyssthomas

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited November 2016

As @evmo said, it was the hardest year yet to select the shortlist images. I left some images out I would have loved to see printed. My commiserations to those who so very nearly made it into print.

I will say the 2017 MSF calendar includes a photo that I think is one of the two best and most evocative images from swimming that I have ever seen, equalling Roger Taylor's stunning image of @AnthonyMcCarley from the inaugural 2015 calendar. I'm not telling you what it is for now except how excited I got when I received it in my inbox one morning and how excited I continue to be that MSF is printing all these wonderful images. I don't know about you, but I keep my older calendars.

It might be helpful for those wondering why their image didn't make the shortlist.

All such selections are personal to the photographer and the person selecting. I use a range of criteria for selection:

• Technical suitability. The photo must be capable of being printed at full page size. This is actually the very first item, and yet quite a number of photos that wouldn't print at postcard size yet alone full page are submitted. It doesn't matter how great the image is in every other category if I can't print it. I don't give file sizes for technical reasons, but you can take it for a given that 26 kilobyte file will not be capable of being printed at any size.

• Rights. The person has to have the copyright to be able to have the image printed. The internet has imposed the idea that photos have little to no value, and that photographers should be willing to accept worthless "credit". While we cannot remunerate the photographer, the least we can do is never print a photo without permission, and reward them at least with a printed copy of their work. I profusely thank all the photographers who submitted images.

• Narrative. Sometimes I look at an image and see that it perfectly composed and exposed and in focus. Those are great door openers. But they are not essential. Once the first criteria of quality and rights are met, the most important criterion I use is narrative. Does the image tell a story or ask a question?

A few photographers and even swimmers have been represented more than once in a calendar or even year. It's quite simple: If a person has "the eye" and the technical skill, those do not leave them after one image. Photographers with the eye, the skill and repeated exposure to swimming events will always be more represented.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. I will look forward to my copy dropping in the letterbox.

evmoJSwimKatieBunrlmIronMikephodgeszohoAnthonyMcCarleyBerlyn

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2016

U.S. residents: If you want your calendar to arrive before December 15, please submit your order by this Thursday night, December 8.

Non-U.S. residents: If you want your calendar to arrive before December 20, please submit your order by Monday night, December 12.

Thank you!

suziedodsIronMike
  • brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

Just ordered mine. Many thanks for choosing my pic! I loved your comment on Twitter: "the stuff of nightmares for many solo marathon swimmers". So true! And that particular race is for 600 people, so the start is somewhat... "interesting".

The rest of the pics are amazing, and truly inspiring. Just wondering how good the ones that didn't make to the final are.

evmo
  • Received in record time, in fact I wonder if @evmo was outside my door when I ordered it. I LOVE all the photos , thank you

evmoJustSwim
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

I received my calendar - thanks so much @evmo! I'm ready to start training for Stage 1 of 8 Bridges, 10 miler at Kingdom, a 20 miler somewhere in NY TBD, maybe SAC, and hopefully STS - fingers crossed I get in! There is something i love about writing my yards each day on the calendar, tracking my progression that's so much more inspiring than a spreadsheet...what can i say i'm a swimming romantic.

evmo
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2016

Inventory report:

We have 3 remaining of the North American version (Sun-Sat), and 6 remaining of the Mon-Sun version.

There will not be another printing.

Thank you very much to everyone who has ordered.

thelittlemerwookieloneswimmer
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

Received yesterday. Fabulous quality, superb photos, an awesome celebration of spectacular swimming achievements. Cheers, guys. :D

evmowendyv34rlm