Swim across Lake Tahoe

2»

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2019

where do people train up in tahoe? I am heading up to tahoe on aug 2 for an aug 6/7 length crossing and have no idea if there are acceptable lake beaches to train at or pools, etc. Any recommendations appreciated!

Good suggestions from @CathyInCA. In South Lake Tahoe, Thomas Regan Memorial Beach has free parking and easy entry from near the lot. SLT also has a nice outdoor 6-lane 25-yd municipal pool.

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

@CathyInCA Perfect! I am staying within 15 min of those and will check them out! Any pool recs?

CathyInCA
  • TomHeckerTomHecker San Diego, California. USAMember

Regan Park in South Lake is my favorite to swim. Plenty of parking. I’m an early swimmer, 6am and sometimes the east gate is closed so I wrong way in the west gate. There is a staircase to the water on the east end and rest rooms there too. Early swim to the Pier is my swim - nice before any boat traffic. Enjoy. After the swim go for coffee and breakfast at the Red Hut to the east in the direction of Camp Richardson ( converted cottage). For lunch or dinner go get a burger and fries at Burger Lounge further east. Tom Hecker. Call me for more suggestions +1 858-395-9853

abbygirlroseCathyInCA
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I just got in at Sand Harbor Beach on Wednesday. It was $10 to park and seems like it can get busy, but we were there later in the afternoon and it was fine. They had kayak rentals, so my friend snagged one and kayaked with me for about an hour and a half up the shore, outside of the buoy line. We only saw one boat. She had to return the kayak at about 6, so after she left me I swam out and around the rocks and along the beach to the south very happily alone for about an hour and a half (45 minutes out and back) and all within the buoy line.

abbygirlrose
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

Baldwin Beach is really nice, too, and is ideal for swimming shore laps. And it's less crowded than some of the others. If you have a bike available, you can ride it in for free (probably true of all the beaches).

We discovered a lovely spot called Speedboat Beach, on the North Shore. It's a slip of a beach, lodged in between spectacular homes, and is perfect for a recovery swim. There are gorgeous boulders, above and under the water. It reminded us of the baths in Virgin Gorda.

• smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member

Had very good luck with Kiva and Baldwin last week. Kiva is free parking with a bit of a walk.

Keep moving forward.

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

Any thoughts on buying a day pass for Lakeside beach? Better than free beaches?

• Sarah4140Sarah4140 DenverMember

Recommendations for Incline Village swimming spots in late September?

• sandra21sandra21 United StatesNew Member

Swimming the width August 1st...I was initially going to do the length, but decided to start with the width, in part for cost, and all my swims have been in Florida. I'm from CO so zero concerns about altitude. Looks to be a fun swim!

thelittlemerwookieStLucia_ChannelIronMike