Ben Hooper - Swim across Atlantic Ocean

Comments

• pondlifepondlife Member
    edited December 2016

captainhaddock said:
    The boat is approx 25percent of the way from Dakar to Natal 760km.

So the boat has done 472 miles (760 km) and he has swum 67 miles.... if that continues then by my maths to get to the other side, the 1879 miles he says it is across (http://www.swimthebigblue.com/the-swim-team), he'll only actually swim 267 - now that's a lot further than I can swim but it's not swimming the Atlantic now is it?

captainhaddockslknightsuziedodsJuicyLucySylvia
  • @pondlife according to his web page he was going to take a longer route (3000miles) to offset the drift that occurred whilst he was not swimming. That does not appear to be happening at the moment.

pondlife
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member
    edited December 2016

Just read The Times article...

Negative Vibes

;-)

JSwimandissKatieBunevmosuziedodsDanSimonellitortuga
  • JSwimJSwim western Maryland, USSenior Member
    edited December 2016

There is a short Reuters article on Ben's swim that came out yesterday.

It's worth pointing out that the 67 miles he's swum is 67 nautical miles, while other times regular ol' miles are used. As an American, never thought I'd say this, but kilometers would be less confusing!

The water conditions (jellys, chop, waves, debris, shark sightings, associated chafing) are getting him down. Ben: "Yes, this is far tougher than envisaged... " That he's surprised by these common ocean conditions is absolutely mind boggling. This is a swim of monumental magnitude and he prepared less thoroughly than most English Channel swimmers.

suziedodsMvGSylvia

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

• I just hope he's embarrassed enough but I doubt it.

JSwim
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2016

I am continuing to update the tracking page (once a day, or so) with the occasional ping from Satellite-AIS. The last was just over an hour ago.

https://track.rs/hooper

Currently shows 778km of straight-line progress from Dakar, out of 3007 total (26%).

phodgeszohosuziedodsloneswimmerDanSimonellicaptainhaddock
  • HI guys and gals, just read through the whole of the comments on this thread. Not a member of the expedition so only speaking for myself. Thought it might help to lay a fact on you that I know to be true. There is NO alcohol on Big Blue or Maid of Crete and Ben Hooper is teetotal. The references to "martinis" in the "jacuzzi" and a "cold beer" are an attempt at humour derived from being English and ex-military. The expedition has been funded by Ben, some sponsors and some contributors who believe that if he is mad enough to try the swim then he should have a chance. It is not overly well funded which probably is contributing to all the technical issues and lack of information. It is also not overly well manned so Ben is the main organiser and doer as well as the person doing the swim.
    It is wonderful that you amazing top notch long distance swimmers are taking such an interest in the challenge and really fantastic to see that such quintessentially commendable and expert people are supporting the attempt as well as asking pertinent and appropriate questions. I am very impressed with the queries in defense of your sport and astounded by the receptive and beneficial tone of the comments.
    It might be of interest to you to know that today the majority of these comments and the ones on Ben Hooper's Facebook page were reported in the Times newspaper in the UK. It would appear that you have a mole member. Just something to be aware of

gregocDanSimonelliloneswimmerMvGIronMike
  • A second thought - I have only been accepted late last night, the Times article was actually yesterday, I am not your mole :)

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    edited December 2016

Hi Robyn, the forum is available for anybody to read. There is no mole. Ben's press release probably sent journalists hunting for further news and the link was posted in the comments on his FB thread.

captainhaddocksuziedodsDanSimonelliMvGIronMike
  • Thank you Katie for your clarification. I was unable to access without being accepted as a member so assumed this was the case for all :)

• Robyn8.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion about Ben
    I know only too well how Ben has part funded his expedition as I was one of many who paid £25 to Ben to swim in a lake where I swim in for free each week.
    The money raised from the swim Ben pledged to go to a well known cancer charity. It was only after some who swam where unhappy that Ben failed to inform us of the amount raised that they contacted the charity.
    The charity confirmed to the interested party he paid £0 to them. He stated after expenses there was no money left over! yet I know use of the lake was given free and he donated £50 to the kayakers, we got a cheap medal (68p on Amazon ) and a t shirt.
    Ben then sent an email to all the event swimmers saying he'd been contacted by the charity and promised to send the charity £100 " out of my own pocket"
    After reading that e mail I lost all faith in Bens honesty and realised if he can manipulate the truth about where the charity money was actually going then what else can he use artistic licence on?
    Wonder how many other people donated to Bens expedition thinking they were donating in good faith to charity?
    Should there be a mole in the group I would like to state that all this information is logged with the appropriate authorities and proof of correspondence available.

jellyfishloneswimmerMvGIronMike
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

Hi @Robyn8 Welcome to the forum!

I think it would be good if Ben were to issue another press release to outline where he is planning to make up the outstanding miles (based on current progress it looks like he's going to get to Brazil having swum only 300 miles, so he would have 1500 miles or so to go to reach his target).

I think I read on Facebook (but never rely on that as a source...!) that he is planning to swim up and down the coast to make up the outstanding miles. If so, that's an awful lot of miles to do in coastal waters, and isn't really "Swim The Atlantic" but "Swimming in The Atlantic" because conditions in coastal waters are not the same as in mid Atlantic. It would be good to get some clarification from him.

At the moment the situation appears analogous to the situation of someone swimming 21 miles in Dover Harbour and claiming to have swum the English Channel.

pondlifeSylviaKatieBuncaptainhaddockrlmDanSimonelliloneswimmerevmocurlygregocMvGIronMike
  • I too was one of the swimmers who paid £25 to swim in a lake normally free as I thought the money was going to a good cause. Ben not only duped us but the charity as well. Anyone in my opinion who can fraudulently take money for charity and use it for something else has no morals at all, therefore anything Ben says in support of this swim must always be questioned and scrutinised.
    I have no doubt that this isn't going to be the swim Ben promised, but the very worst is taking the monies donated to the charities that is reprehensible in my book

SylvialoneswimmerMvGJuicyLucy
    edited December 2016

Niek said:
    @Robyn8 This is not the occasion for that kind of humour. Donators expect him to take all things seriously.

Spot on, @Niek. When technology breakdowns and flat batteries result in followers being starved of information, it would appear to be a little foolish to include flippant remarks in the middle of what is already a fairly vague and unsatisfactory update. Ben should have expected the beer and Martini comments to be scrutinised along with the rest of the information. He wants to be taken seriously..... so I'm puzzled as to why he would cry foul when that happens.

captainhaddockSylvialoneswimmerMvG
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

"Mole" :-O

This is an open forum.
    And it's been used before as info source for media.
    Which is why I was trying early on to encourage people to ask questions and make comments of substantive value rather than hyperbole and cynicism thus allowing when the inevitable media contact would read here and be able to label us as "sniping" about the swim and ignore all the knowledgable and worthy observations and queries!

evmoKatieBuncaptainhaddockcurlyloneswimmerRobyn8SylviaMvGVLM
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

One other thing about this adventure that is a little worrisome to me. He is sailing across the Atlantic in a rather sketchily prepared expedition. That's kind of a big ocean to be just puttering around in. I have been in an Atlantic storm and I'm glad I was on an ocean liner and not some small craft. 30 ft waves are really big. I sincerely hope that this doesn't end in some sort of disaster.

evmotimsrootRobyn8KatieBunDanSimonelliMvG
  • edited December 2016

Hello, ladies and gents.

I'm new here, entered 1 hour ago.
    Danish citizen, Interested in Ben Hoopers swim.

I have read your posts with great interest.
    Now I have a few questions to Mr. Hooper.

1: A few days ago (3) I read the Chief Productions website. There was a nice description of Bens plan.
    Next day the info was deleted, How sad.
    Question: Will there be no Global Audience Film ?

2: Half an hour ago I checked Sir Fienness' own website. There was no information about a support or a donation.
    But Sir F. informed about JUSTGIVING, where the public can donate in general.
    I checked Justgiving's website. No info. They only referred to CCP, County Community Projects.
    i checked CCP's website.
    Indeed, they had completed a fundraising for Ben, where they hoped to raise £ 10.000,-

This is their result:

Donation summary
    Total raised
    £158.00 + £35.00 Gift Aid
    Direct Donations
    £40.00
    Donations via Fundraisers
    £118.00
    Offline Donations
    £0.00

How sad.

Questions to Ben Hooper:

• How come that it was only possible to collect £ 351,- when the goal was 10.000 ?
    • Was the goal set too high?
    • What impact did it have on the project ?
    • Was your project too fantastic for the public ?

Kindly,
    A curious soul from Denmark (who bought and paid 2 hoodies from STBB - how sad)

Peter

• As I am not part of the STBB expedition or the team I cannot answer your questions. I would suggest if you want answers to questions that as a collective group you formulate a list of questions and use the contacts provided on the STBB web site http://www.swimthebigblue.com/more/contact-us. [I suggest the list to save the same question being asked multiple times.]
    If Ben is swimming and problem solving (as we all believe) and with limited communication bandwidth then I suspect this might be a more productive route. Given the challenge is underway it would not appear to be appropriate timing to ask myriad questions of Ben directly and it is unlikely to affect the outcomes at this point.

In the absence of viable evidence to the contrary I choose to believe that this is a genuine attempt at something amazing, despite the apparent lack of preparation in some areas. But as I also contributed significantly, I am watching with interest.

Please can I draw your attention to DanSimonelli's comment above (3.37pm) and second the tenor of his words. Some of the posts on this page, and in other places such as face book, are reasoned, reasonable and objective; but several are subjective, frankly appear snide, and give a very poor impression of your community detracting from the more serious comments.

DanSimonelliloneswimmer
  • My apologies for my lack of manners, thank you for your welcomes :)

SoloDanSimonelliloneswimmer
  • jellyfishjellyfish Member
    edited December 2016

PeterDK said:

Questions to Ben Hooper:

• How come that it was only possible to collect £ 351,- when the goal was 10.000 ?
    • Was the goal set too high?
    • What impact did it have on the project ?
    • Was your project too fantastic for the public ?

Kindly,
    A curious soul from Denmark (who bought and paid 2 hoodies from STBB - how sad)

Peter

There is a bensmiles donation page Peter where people can buy the miles that Ben is proposing to swim, so there are approximately 2,000 swimming miles between Dakar and Natal for sale. I'm not quite sure how that works now considering Ben is making up some of those miles in a boat. I do know that through Social Media and in interviews Ben is Claiming he will raise a £million for charity whist swimming the Atlantic, how that's possible when he's sailing some of it is another mystery.

From the information put 'out there' by Ben himself there is every reason to criticise the lack of clarity now, there has been a plethora of interviews by Ben on the TV, radio and in the newspapers all claiming he is swimming every mile when he clearly isn't. Of course people are doubting his credibility why wouldn't they?

It must also be taken into consideration and it has been mentioned on here previously that the Atlantic is a fierce ocean and to attempt to cross it in a craft that has had numerous mishaps and faults on its way to Dakar from the UK seems at the very least foolhardy since there are other lives at risk here not just his own.

Where there is no transparency or clarity then everyone has the right to scrutinise his attempt. There are amazing people out there that partake in all sorts of marathons in all sports, people who give up their time to help others and raise money for charities unsung heroes all. Then there is Ben Hooper what more can I say.

loneswimmerevmoMvGcurlyrlmSylvia
    edited December 2016

Robyn8 said:
    As I am not part of the STBB expedition or the team I cannot answer your questions. I would suggest if you want answers to questions that as a collective group you formulate a list of questions and use the contacts provided on the STBB web site http

In the absence of viable evidence to the contrary I choose to believe that this is a genuine attempt at something amazing, despite the apparent lack of preparation in some areas. But as I also contributed significantly, I am watching with interest.

Where is the evidence to suggest that Bens swim is been undertaken in the way it has been publicised by Ben himself?

The tracker isn't working, there are no meaningful updates on any of his social media sites keeping his sponsors,and the general public informed of his progress.

SylvialoneswimmercaptainhaddockcurlyKatieBunrlmIronMike
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

Hi @Robyn8. Well with all due respect, Ben Hooper is the one pursuing this. It is up to him to clarify, not up to us to chase him seeking answers to be given on his terms if he or someone else approves of the "tone". This is exactly how I have learned, through bitter experience, that it should work. Public discourse and questions. The person being questioned should not have control of the agenda.

In the absence of viable evidence to the contrary I choose to believe that this is a genuine attempt at something amazing, despite the apparent lack of preparation in some areas.

No-one is stopping you doing so.

I do not.

All other things aside, marathon swimming IS preparation. This is what unites us. We all know and share the hours of training, cold, tiredness, weather, risk & even fear.

Swimming suffered from fraudulent claims since the latter years of the 19th century. And there is a consonant problem of others talking up bogus and ill-conceived swims never likely or often even intended to actually achieve completion. I can think of three others this year, as can most of the people here. Instead such are intended, not for the exhilaration of standing up on the far side, but for the recognition and glory through appealing to the media and public.

I say this with full consciousness of the hyperbole of the assertion, but there nothing worse to any endurance athlete, in any discipline, that someone claiming to have done something they have not.

There are swimmers here, myself included who received email from Ben Hooper setting himself up as different to Jennifer Figge and Ben Lacomte's swims. As others have pointed out above, he invited this reaction.

evmoSylviajellyfishrosemarymintKatieBuncaptainhaddockcurlyJSwimDeborahdavid_barramjstaplesHelberlmIronMikeMvGssthomas

loneswimmer.com

• Much of the discussion has been about what has been achieved so far, I have found this site (I think @Robyn8 you may be the person who posted the Vendee version of this on Ben's FB page). It gives us an indication of what he might expect in the week to come. This is the currents view but you can change it to be winds/swell/waves etc https://www.windytv.com/9.319/-22.016?currents,9.319,-22.593,9 This is based on the latest position for his boat.

DanSimonelli
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

ZoeSadler said:

At the moment the situation appears analogous to the situation of someone swimming 21 miles in Dover Harbour and claiming to have swum the English Channel.

Succinct. And so perfect. Thank you @ZoeSadler.

SylviaDanSimonelli

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Ben's fundraising goal, from 2014 radio interview:

“…we are aiming for a million pounds for charity which I think is more than achievable and our sponsorship budget is about the same for the actual expedition starting from now until the end of the expedition - all the costs we’ve got - and we do have a couple of sponsors that we are in talks with, but if there is anyone out there who would like to step up and support us then please get in touch through the website.”

See 20 Feb 2014 blog entry, radio interview on “The Vitality Show with Melanie Cheeseman”

So 1 million pounds for charity, 1 million pounds to fund the expedition itself.

Sylvia

edited December 2016

3 new updates on the FB page.... misfortune with a mast and the engine but no mention of how much time in the water or distance swum. All very newsy but I'd love some up to date stats.......

Oh, and the updates include an invitation for "those who delight in making puerile pontifications" to come and join him on his raft, eat the same rations and "swim alongside him for a swim marathon twice a day until Easter".

loneswimmerSylvia
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited December 2016

KatieBun said:
    Oh, and the updates include an invitation for "those who delight in making puerile pontifications" to come and join him on his raft, eat the same rations and "swim alongside him for a swim marathon twice a day until Easter".

I'm no mathematician, but if he's swum 51 miles in 21 days (according to his tracker as of 1750 GMT, 4 Dec), that's nowhere near "a swim marathon twice a day..." That's not even a swim marathon once a day.

And I've eaten MREs for days and days on end, and I didn't get to swim at my leisure.

loneswimmerKatieBunSylviaMvGrosemarymintJaimie

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

IronMike said:

KatieBun said:

I'm no mathematician, but if he's swum 51 miles in 21 days (according to his tracker as of 1750 GMT, 4 Dec), that's nowhere near "a swim marathon twice a day..." That's not even a swim marathon once a day.

OK. I think this thread started with a basic observation that Ben was going to do this swim and he was going to follow certain rules which he stated such as how much he would swim and how much would be spent resting on board. The boat was going to adjust for currents etc. I think most of the early commentary was either neutral or positive. It's unorthodox, but I was thinking that it would be pretty cool if he was able to do it.

Since then, things have sort of unravelled. I think that as the published evidence has developed, this swim has turned into less than what was advertised. It's a shame, but that's how it goes. Now Ben is talking about "puerile pontifications", which to be honest I had to look up. I really don't think the statements in this thread have been childish or out of line. He stated what he was setting out to do and has come up way short.

Now he has offered a challenge to the marathon swimming community to the effect of "OK, you come out here and try it." According to the @IronMike post above, he is swimming on average a little over 4000 yards a day. In all honesty, that works out to a little over an hour workout for a half decent swimmer. And that yardage is fairly modest for a distance swimmer. So if we are talking about puerile pontifications, I would suggest that his statement is the pot calling the kettle black.

I keep wanting to be done with this thread... sorry...

DanSimonelliSylviacaptainhaddockMvGrlmrosemarymintphodgeszoho
  • I must apologise for my lack of computer skills, I truly am a better swimmer. However there is a recent article on the Daily Mail online about Ben where it is estimated that it will take him over a year to get to Natal in Brazil.
    If you Google Daily mail online Ben Hooper it will take you to the article.

SylviaJSwim

jellyfish said:
    I must apologise for my lack of computer skills, I truly am a better swimmer. However there is a recent article on the Daily Mail online about Ben where it is estimated that it will take him over a year to get to Natal in Brazil.
    If you Google Daily mail online Ben Hooper it will take you to the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3994608/British-man-attempting-SWIM-Atlantic-travelled-67-nautical-miles-18-days-not-reach-Brazil-2018-current-speed.html

Sylviajellyfish

• OhioGalOhioGal Member
    edited December 2016

This was supposed to have kicked off in 2015 btw - not November 2016 - the aim was to swim there for the start of the Rio Olympics.... Fundraising [over many websites] started then... Just Giving, Ben's Miles, Swim the Big Blue etc., a lot of ££ has been given through many different portals over the course of this kicking off. I have the original press pack from Pink Elephant Marketing - but no means for me to share the PDF here.

For information about PR or Corporate Sponsorship contact Michelle Heather on 01242 230524, 07885 580448 or email: info@pinkelephantmarketing.co.uk

• In Ben's defense he was split up from his baby mama since way before his Florida training camp. I believe I read a year ago, he mentioned that they split up a few years ago, so I have to defend his honor. At least on this issue. Lol

• Jswim - thank you.
    It's a pity that Ben isn't as good at swimming as he is at utilising the media and social networking in an attempt to fool everyone to thinking his Atlantic swim is doable.
    Maybe he's forgotten;
    ' you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time'.
    Hopefully it's sinking in now!

SylviasuziedodsJuicyLucyRobyn8
  • He's moaning on FB now about "riptides".... but he's miles off shore? Now those may bother him when he's making up the miles swimming up and down the coast at the end (as if!) but in mid Atlantic?? This is a farce.

Sylviasuziedods
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited December 2016

@OhioGal, I removed your first post. It's about a personal matter, and not swimming.

@Andiss, removed your post below this, as also not about swimming.

DanSimonelliMvGsuziedods

loneswimmer.com

• SidMottSidMott Member
    edited December 2016

OhioGal said:
    This was supposed to have kicked off in 2015 btw - not November 2016 - the aim was to swim there for the start of the Rio Olympics.... Fundraising [over many websites] started then... Just Giving, Ben's Miles, Swim the Big Blue etc., a lot of ££ has been given through many different portals over the course of this kicking off. I have the original press pack from Pink Elephant Marketing - but no means for me to share the PDF here.

For information about PR or Corporate Sponsorship contact Michelle Heather on 01242 230524, 07885 580448 or email: info@pinkelephantmarketing.co.uk

Are PinkElephant still involved?

• edited December 2016

SidMott said:

Their website can't be found and the last post on their FB page was 9th June. Last mention of Ben on their FB page is 3rd April. Hardly an active PR company.

• OhioGalOhioGal Member
    edited December 2016

SidMott said:

Seemingly they are still a sponsor, but what involvement now I do not know. Here is the original press pack / email jack in June 2015

http://marathonswimmers.org/assets/hooper-PR.txt

suziedods
  • thanks @OhioGal
    It'll be interesting to see how many of those mentioned are actually now involved
    Also, it clearly stated on numerous occasions that this "world's first full ocean swim, every single mile of The Atlantic ocean" which he is clearly not doing

SylviaMvGsuziedods
  • SidMottSidMott Member
    edited December 2016

Latest update

4 December
    Day 22
    OUCH.
    My worst nightmare has become a reality.
    Portuguese man of war attacked.
    Rescued by Sen and treated by Pam.
    Excruciating and debilitating pain all down my right side from ear to toe.
    Rolling eyes. Partial paralysis. Dribbling slured speech. Struggling to maintain consciousness.
    I am so sorry Georgie. I have let you down.
    BP plummeted to 80/40 before stabilising.
    Hourly observations and no swimming for at least 48 hours.
    Nigel's son Paul is a consultant trauma surgeon and is supporting Pam by satellite.
    This is serious!

edited December 2016

captainhaddock said:

SidMott said:

Their website can't be found and the last post on their FB page was 9th June. Last mention of Ben on their FB page is 3rd April. Hardly an active PR company.

The last PR company he was using was PalamedesPR

• andissandiss Senior Member

Feels like this thread now has gone viral.......

• SidMott said:
    thanks @OhioGal
    It'll be interesting to see how many of those mentioned are actually now involved

Well obviously not his 'medical and trauma' team of Rob and Elle seeing as he's now quoting being treated by "Pam"... Seriously I have 3 words for this farce... MID / LIFE / CRISIS

SylviaSidMott
  • pondlifepondlife Member
    edited December 2016

Found another lie in there

"he writes fiction and is a 2* AIDA free-diver "

He took his course with my freedive school (www.saltfreedivers.com) and got out of the water because he was too cold. I've just looked him up on AIDA's certification list and he never completed the qualification...

but then I guess that makes the bit about "writing fiction" true :)

OhioGalSylviaIronMikeSidMottcaptainhaddockMvGKatieBunsuziedodsrosemarymint
  • @pondlife - I think my coffee just came out of my nose on that one! LOL

pondlifesuziedods
    edited December 2016

pondlife said:
    Found another lie in there

"he writes fiction and is a 2* AIDA free-diver "

He took his course with my freedive school (www.saltfreedivers.com) and got out of the water because he was too cold. I've just looked him up on AIDA's certification list and he never completed the qualification...

but then I guess that makes the bit about "writing fiction" true :)

he doesn't wrote books either!!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2016

For the sake of the readability of this thread, I moved the large document @OhioGal copy/pasted to this page:

http://marathonswimmers.org/assets/hooper-PR.txt

OhioGalRobyn8suziedodsIronMikeDanSimonellikejoyceMvGcaptainhaddock
  • evmo said:
    @OhioGal is there a source for all that text from the press pack, that we can link to instead of copy/pasting the entire document into this thread?

No I think all this was the initial preparation / info / press pack by Pink Elephant PR - I received this back in June 2015 - so this wouldn't be anywhere on the web now.

• Thanks for putting in all on one text document though... makes more sense! :)

MvG
  • BlackwaterBlackwater south westMember

Generators fail, forstay fails ,trackers fail, support boat fail...now Ben has been stung by a PMOW ...well of course he has! I would genuinely have more respect for him if he said you know what the support boat is out of commision this boat is in no shape to undertake an Atlantic crossing and we have no method of independent verification and therefore I am returning to shore to regroup and try again at a later date

SylviaRobyn8pondlifejellyfish