2017 MSF Photo Calendar submissions

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
edited November 2019 in Admin Communications

Hey swimmers.

One of the lessons I learned in previous year was not to leave submissions too late. So of course I've left it late, even later than last year! But let's hope not too late. Yes, I made the mistake again this year.

So I'm requesting any images related to the sport of open water and marathon swimming for a potential 3nd MSF calendar, for 2017.

As you know, @evmo & I will spend the proceeds on cocaine and hookers. This year I'm thinking Las Vegas. There will be no swimmers there to see us.

Because someone with no humour (with a "u", dammit) might take that seriously, actually no, we'll use anything left over the costs to cover MSF running costs such as servers, bandwidth and development costs like @evmo's prodigious work on the Track.rs site.

We are NOT restricting the images to those taken in 2016. For those who purchased last year's calendar or saw some of the images, you'll know I'm looking for strong good quality images.

N.B. I messed up about 12 calendars for Ireland by forgetting to put in the captions. This year I will strive to make a different mistake.

Most of us are lucky if we even have a single image of ourselves with an arm over the water. Quite a few of those were submitted last year. They will have to be really good to make the cut, just saying...

Think about all the other facets of marathon swimming: cold days, suffering, post-swim bloat, (anyone got a good one?) the helpers, the feed boxes, kayakers, boats, pilots, weather, charts, feeding, boat loading, etc. Entertain us!

Your photos will remain your copyright. You will retain ownership and copyright of your images, you just allow us to use them for this one project. We will not use them for anything else. Each image will have a title and the photographer's name. (My apologies again to the photographers especially where I screwed this up on about a dozen calendars last year).

SUBMISSION RULES (.ie. Lessons learned from previous years).

1: The Deadline is the middle of November. You have 4 weeks. Please send me everything as soon as possible though. I apologise for being late again.

2: Please send original full size image . This is ensure sufficient print quality. Minimum resolution that will be considered is 1200 pixels wide. Pictures shot on a Nokia 3300 in 2002, etc, I'm afraid not..

3: Landscape images are preferred. That's because it's very hard to make both portrait and landscape images work on the same A4-size page, so portrait images, while still acceptable, have an additional burden.

4: The aspect ratio / cropping should be standard 4:3 or 3:2. If you have a widescreen cropped image I'd have to crop it anyway so please do it yourself and retain control over what you want seen.

5: The file name should include the photographer name, and preferably also the subject name and location or any other essential detail that will need to be in the final description. Please put all the detail in the file name, because if you don't then, yes, you make it more difficult when they all end up in a directory. Please!!

6: You must have the right to submit the image, or if the image belongs to someone else, you must send me the permission and contact email of the person who took it.

7: Submissions are limited to 5 per person.

8: Images submitted last year are not allowed.

9: Don't "nominate" images. Please don't describe something and tell me to look for it. Please don't send me links to images and tell _me _to find out if I can use them.

10: SEND THE IMAGES TO the MSF submission page (link expired).

loneswimmer.com

Tagged:
evmoIronMike

Comments

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member

I mentioned to @malinaka we might have to have two calendars this year. The standard calendar and the Sarah Thomas Lake Powell Swim commemorative calendar.

evmorlmJenAAnthonyMcCarleytimsrootSoloIronMikeViveBenerosemarymint
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

If there are more pictures like that beautiful one @malinaka posted, with the orange cliffs and the reflections in the water and the perfect moment of Sarah swimming, then the Sarah Thomas Lake Powell Swim commemorative calendar would be quite a piece. That picture has found its way into my phone and is now my wallpaper. I smile every time I look at it.

lakesprayViveBene
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

lakespray said:
    I mentioned to @malinaka we might have to have two calendars this year. The standard calendar and the Sarah Thomas Lake Powell Swim commemorative calendar.

If she makes one, I will buy multiple copies.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

We currently have had _three only _submissions. If you've got pics, send them in.

loneswimmer.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Just submitted 3

evmo

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• JenAJenA Charter Member

How about approaching swimmers who swam 20+ years ago? They may no longer be active in the community, but I bet they've got some amazing photos.

I'll contact Marilyn Bell and Vicki Keith...

evmophodgeszohoDanSimonelli
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2016

As in years past, anyone who submits a photo that is selected for the calendar gets a free calendar.

IronMikeDanSimonelli
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

IMG_2770
    IMG_2844
    Devon Clifford swimmer
    Lizzy Tabor kayaker
    Hudson River Stage 6, 8 Bridges

Bottom
    Laura Picardo swimmer
    Terry O'Malley kayaker
    The Narrows Solo Ederle swim

MaryStella

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

IMG_2736
    Before the jump
    Stage 6

KelliessthomasMaryStella

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

Just submitted 4 photos. I'm sorry there are too many wetsuits in one of them X_X
    (around here, people use a wetsuit even for a 1.5K in 23ºC, so imagine for a 7K in 18ºC, as it was that day...)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Last call for calendar submissions...

• @evmo ,please grab some from the SERC swim Saturday...

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2016

From Donal's post at the top:

2: Please send original full size image . This is ensure sufficient print quality. Minimum resolution that will be considered is 1200 pixels wide. (...which is often not the case with images downloaded from FB.)

9: Don't "nominate" images. Please don't describe something and tell me to look for it. Please don't send me links to images and tell me to find out if I can use them.

10: SEND THE IMAGES TO the MSF submission page.

loneswimmerLynnkub
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Photo calendar submissions are now closed. Thank you to everyone who contributed images. The 2017 calendar will be available for purchase... soon.

bluemermaid9suziedodsssthomasCathyInCAIronMikeloneswimmerrlmthelittlemerwookie
This discussion has been closed.