2swim4life 2017

After 24 completing the miles as a solo in 2015, I'm back for more. Anyone else? http://www.2swim4life.com/

suziedods

Comments

• I am hoping to organize on in CA .. in April as well.. stay tuned.

dc_in_sfssthomasSidMottJustSwimLeslieTMcQueen
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Did my solo in 2015 - just... Coming back in 17 to crew for a friend's solo attempt. :-)

Helbe
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member

Solo'd in 2015 and currently reserve supporter for a soloist in 2017. Was considering a relay entry but spaces filled very quickly and now the event is full. For the slower swimmer like myself, repeating a mile every hour for 24 hours straight was a real test of stamina and great support is essential to coming through in one piece. Good luck in getting a CA event going @suziedods

• I hope to, I am completely aware from others blogs about how frickin hard this is... which is why I want to try it!!
    Thanks so much!

swimrn62HelbeJustSwim
  • TMcQueenTMcQueen Belton, TXMember

Me, too, Suzie! I hope we can try it here in CA!

• Confirmation emails for solo's came out yesterday, back again for more; swim, shower, eat, repeat

• DeborahDeborah Lee-on-the-SolentMember

I'm doing a duo, I thought as it's my EC year I'd be cautious after a rather bad year of health, just in case of further injury, hope to do a solo at the next one. See you all there.

• Tracy_ClarkTracy_Clark Norwich, United Kingdom (from Auckland, New Zealand)Member

I'm doing it solo...!!!!! Or should I say....attempting!!! My amazing and caring 14 year old son is my carer/supporter - there's some motivation!!!

DeborahKatieBun
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

I reminded myself, at 4am in 2013, that I really wasn't enjoying it, same as 2008 and 2011. Most I got to was 17 miles, so I've bowed out of this one. ;-)

• This Guildford 24/24 is exceptinaly well organised..I completed the challenge back in 2015 (i think) and would tell anyone to dunk there wet costume in the hot tub before putting it on especially in the night..
    Im going 24/24 open water styly sometime in june somewhere in uk....I should probably look in my inbox for further info lolo.
    Enjoy Guildford yall

Jaimie
  • scottscott East Sussex, UKMember

I have signed up for 2017. Does anyone have any training advice?
    In the past I have tended to build my weekly distance up to the event distance and do one or two swims of about 60% of the distance (advice I got from people / posts on this great forum).
    But not sure what to do for this event - build up to 24 miles a week in say 12 sessions?
    Or is a lot of it logistics - practicing getting dry, dressed, toilet, feed, rest, change, swim, repeat.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

• SidMottSidMott Member
    edited January 2017

scott said:
    I have signed up for 2017. Does anyone have any training advice?
    In the past I have tended to build my weekly distance up to the event distance and do one or two swims of about 60% of the distance (advice I got from people / posts on this great forum).
    But not sure what to do for this event - build up to 24 miles a week in say 12 sessions?
    Or is a lot of it logistics - practicing getting dry, dressed, toilet, feed, rest, change, swim, repeat.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd say build up your long sessions and keep some shorter, quality sessions.
    No need to go up to 12 sessions/week. Logistics wise, you'll get into a rhythm on the day. Take foods that are easy on the stomach, I found rice pudding to be the best and wish I took more than 2 cans(will take more this year). I also took 24 towels(borrowed some off parents) as a nice dry towel each hour was something to look forward too. Also a large selection of trunks. Main thing is to keep it simple. See you there

• scottscott East Sussex, UKMember

Many thanks @SidMott . How long do you recommend for the longer sessions? 2-3 hours or more? Also, do you have to take a camping stove to heat water or it there something there? Great tip about the towels, thanks. See you there.

• @scott I think 2-3 hours tops for the longer sessions. There is an urn there for hot water they keep running