Comments

• What's the temp of those waters?

• Best of luck to Scott!

• Mike - Usually in the low 70's this time of year. It was over 76 this last weekend. Sometime the lake will "turn over" and drop 20 degrees all of the sudden.

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member

Is this still in progress? As the tracker indicates the boat took a right turn towards Michigan City.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    edited August 2016

From Scott's FB

Short night, even longer day. Just got home from my swim attempt. Tears were in my eyes when I decided after 14:hours 58 minutes battling through a storm and waves with more storms coming. A tough call to make, but a wise one . I usually average 2 mph in Lake Michigan swims, today due to weather averaged between 1.1 to 1.7 mph. It was a long ride home on the boat. Wanting to thank so many people who gave their support through words of encouragement, assistance, etc. HUGE THANK YOU to Annabel Lavers, Dave Rearick, Cindy Treble, Jeff ( Jennifer Wilson Danhauer), Branson Stone, Thomas Iatarola, Herbert Philbrick, Keith Ellis Samara Kester, Alison Witkin Carol Noltimier and countless others. Pigging out this moment then try and sleep if the floor ever stops rocking :P

Kellie

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• We drove through the storm and foul weather on our way to Michigan for the Swim to the Moon Race- I could not stop thinking about you out on the lake! The weather was a mess!!!
    Best of luck to you, and as someone who has felt the wrath of the lake personally I am in awe!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2016

120 miles.... gosh, that would have been something! Considering the longest non-current-assisted swim on record is "only" 77 miles; and that 77-mile swim was done by somebody (Chloe) who already had a double English Channel under her belt (and subsequently did a triple).

How far do you have to get into a 120-mile swim to be able to call it a 120-mile "attempt" ? Halfway? One-third? Just askin'....

david_barragregocJenAloneswimmersuziedods
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

How far do you have to get into a 120-mile swim to be able to call it a 120-mile "attempt" ? Halfway? One-third? Just askin'....

Also where does under three hours swimming on a much hyped so-called three way channel attempt fall? The hype of which led to rule breaking on at least two forums, spam, abusive PMs and doxxing of forum administrators.

david_barrasuziedodsevmo

loneswimmer.com

loneswimmer said:

Also where does under three hours swimming on a much hyped so-called three way channel attempt fall? The hype of which led to rule breaking on at least two forums, spam, abusive PMs and doxxing of forum administrators.

Hindenburg Award?

loneswimmersuziedodsevmo

• sarmarsarmar LondonMember

Surprised none of the articles mentioned any prior swims? 10-, 20-mile nothing to sneeze at, especially before attempting 120 miles. I'm all for people dreaming big but getting a bit tired of the hype.

suziedodsSolo
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member
    edited August 2016

I did a search of Scott's record for a friend and couldn't find anything in the way of previous open water swims. Scott does have a swimming background though. I don't know much about his training. I did think it was odd that he didn't seem to have his crew locked down well in advance of the swim. Hopefully Scott will get a few of the shorter, major swims down before he attempts the double Lake Michigan again.

suziedodsevmo
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2016

For perspective... a single crossing of Lake Michigan from Chicago to St Joseph would be equal to the longest freshwater/lake swim on record (Ted Erikson and Abou-Heif, who did that route in 1963).

So when somebody with no recorded marathon swim history says, "I'm gonna do a two-way" .... uh, yeah.

suziedodsslknightloneswimmer

evmo said:

Good question and hard to answer, but I'll take a stab at it:
    Since the proposed distance is an out and back route (double crossing), I would say the swimmer would have to resign on the return trip to call it a "double attempt"....likewise on the triple crossing that @loneswimmer refers to.... 2 legs+ in the bank.

evmoloneswimmergregocssthomaskimh