Lake Chelan Swim

curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Has anyone ever heard of this swim or the swimmer? I was researching Lake Chelan (Washington) swims and came across this old article. Sounds like an amazing swim. I don't know if it was an MSF swimmer or if it's documented.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/50-mile-swim-covers-length-of-lake-chelan/

Slowed by high wind, choppy waters and extreme exhaustion, Emily von Jentzen completed her nonstop swim of Lake Chelan at 3:51 a.m. Friday, nearly 36 hours after starting the challenge. The feat is believed to be the lake's first nonstop swim.

JUDYP

Comments

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

I believe she may have swam the length of flathead Lake a few years ago...maybe @FlowSwimmers might know more?

JUDYP
  • FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

Emily is based out of Kalispell, Montana and has completed several long open water swims (assisted and unassisted) in addition to putting on the Flathead Lake Open Water Swim Series during the third weekend of July. Her website is www.enduringwaves.com.

JUDYP
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

@FlowSwimmers Thanks. That Lake Chelan swim must have been a doozy. It's really beautiful there and the upper end of the lake is remote as all heck.

JUDYP
  • EricEric Member

The feat is believed to be the lake's first nonstop swim.

mjstaples said: I believe she may have swam the length of flathead Lake a few years ago.

So there is no confusion: The Lake Chelan swim was done in a wetsuit. The Flathead length crossing by the same person -- also in a wetsuit.

Sarah Thomas and Craig Lenning were the first to cross Flathead unassisted last year.

JUDYPssthomasFlowSwimmersrlm
  • I live at Lake Chelan and organize "The Lake Chelan Swim" every year ( a 1.5 mile open water benefit swim). Emily Von Jentzen swam the length of the lake, the first person to do so, in 2012.