I just bought a wetsuit....

andissandiss Senior Member
edited May 2017 in General Discussion

I took a decision to get a swimming wetsuit again. Felt like I was letting myself down - I know I can swim a few km when it's cold (+11C is very cold for me).

But when I got into the suit I was like this is cheating - floating around and being warm afterwards.

But I still swim in togs - love swimming in togs - but I have a selfimposed rule - when I think it's too cold I go wetsuit and when it's warm enough I go without. I have no interest in bulking up to be able to swim longer in cold water...

Anyone else in the same boat?

(The water temp ranges from 13- 18C here pending weather,wind direction, tides, winds etc)

Tagged:
Solo

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

I'm not in that boat, in part because I'm already fat and in part because I love IV the us gulf coast where the Easter is hardly ever really cold.

But that said, do what you want to do. Everyone Swims for different reasons, who am I to proselytize so that you confirm to my arbitrary worldview?

NoelFigart
  • NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

The only reason I don't use a wetsuit is because one in my size that fit properly would be gut wrenchingly expensive. Like @timsroot I more or less have a homegrown wetsuit naturally. I don't manipulate my weight to do what I do, so why should you?

dpm50
  • JenAJenA Charter Member
    edited June 2016

@andiss said: I have no interest in bulking up to be able to swim longer in cold water...

No judgement here -- you have to do what's right for you. A friend of mine has what is possibly the best reason for wearing a wetsuit. :) She experiences cold urticaria, which can cause fatal anaphylactic allergic reactions. She's literally allergic to cold water, and breaks out in full body hives swimming in water as "cold" as 25oC/77oF while wearing a wetsuit. I'm just happy to see her get outside and swim when (and how!) she can.

I think it's worth stating that "bulking up" isn't the only way to acclimate to cold water, though. There are some pretty lean marathon swimmers with some pretty epic cooler temperature accomplishments. Penny Palfrey, who was in the North Channel for 11+ hours before tides ended her swim? Chloe McCardel and her EC triple?

Acclimation creates physiological changes. "Homeostatic Responses to Prolonged Cold Exposure: Human Cold Acclimatization" probably lists them, but I don't have access to the article. :)

Acclimation works. It can't defy the laws of physics, but I believe most people more acclimate-able than they realise.

ViveBeneandiss
  • @andiss I think your rule is perfect: "when I think it's too cold I go wetsuit and when it's warm enough I go without"

I just did my first open water swims in Lake Berryessa, CA (temp 67-70F) and I wore a wetsuit. I was comfy and happy, but I didn't like the extra weight on my arms - my triceps were sore afterwards! But I was able to swim confidently in OW, and now can work on getting used to colder swims. For me, the wetsuit was a good idea for the first time out. If the wetsuit keeps you swimming when you otherwise wouldn't, then it's a good tool to use. You know you better than anyone.

I've signed up for Donner Lake in AUG, no wetsuit allowed, so time to get cracking!

andiss

"Not all who wander are lost." --J.R.R. Tolkien

• andissandiss Senior Member

I'm actually loosing weight at the moment - and as I'm doing the master surflife saving world champs also this year I don't want to loose speed by swimming against wetsuits swimmers - you do gain 5-10s per 100m

• andissandiss Senior Member

JenA said:

@andiss said: I have no interest in bulking up to be able to swim longer in cold water...

No judgement here -- you have to do what's right for you. A friend of mine has what is possibly the best reason for wearing a wetsuit. :) She experiences cold urticaria, which can cause fatal anaphylactic allergic reactions. She's literally allergic to cold water, and breaks out in full body hives swimming in water as "cold" as 25oC/77oF while wearing a wetsuit. I'm just happy to see her get outside and swim when (and how!) she can.

I think it's worth stating that "bulking up" isn't the only way to acclimate to cold water, though. There are some pretty lean marathon swimmers with some pretty epic cooler temperature accomplishments. Penny Palfrey, who was in the North Channel for 11+ hours before tides ended her swim? Chloe McCardel and her EC triple?

Acclimation creates physiological changes. "Homeostatic Responses to Prolonged Cold Exposure: Human Cold Acclimatization" probably lists them, but I don't have access to the article. :)

Acclimation works. It can't defy the laws of physics, but I believe most people more acclimate-able than they realise.

Jesus that sounds terrible - like I have done 3km in 10- 11c but I was too cold for comfort afterwards...