Interesting interview with my coach sharing his marathon swimming tips/experience

dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
edited April 2016 in General Discussion

http://openskyfitness.com/featured/john-kenny-how-to-become-an-open-water-swimmer-ep-93/

This is an interview with my coach, John Kenny. Currently he's a pro triathlete but he has quite an impressive marathon swimming resume. Occasionally he still does some marathon swims, including wins in the 2014 "To the Bridge and Back" 10 mile swim and the 2015 Valley Forge Marathon Swim.

And a personal shout-out...he's an excellent coach and human being! I've learned a lot in the two years I've worked with him! I've stretched limits, tried swims I might once not have considered, and seen improvement in workouts, meets, and some o.w. swims. I'll get assigned workouts and think "you're kidding, right?" But then I surprise myself. And if I run into problems, he's good at picking up what I need to do to address them. So I thought I'd share him w the rest of you! :)

The interview doesn't come first; I think there are 15 mins or so of discussion between the hosts. But it's worth the wait. Or if you're short on time, you might want to skip ahead to it.

flystorms

Comments

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

I've raced John a bunch of times. Super fast and a good guy. The last time I saw him was USS 25K Nats in Fort Myers when I was being pulled from the water with super-cramps. Please tell him I said "hello."

dpm50
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

swimmer25k said:
    I've raced John a bunch of times. Super fast and a good guy. The last time I saw him was USS 25K Nats in Fort Myers when I was being pulled from the water with super-cramps. Please tell him I said "hello."

I did, and he appreciated your comments! These days, he's been directing a variety of events, including a triathlon, an aquathlon, a series of short (half mile) o.w. swims, a 1- and a 3-mile swim (7/30--these two are new additions), and the Valley Forge Marathon Swim (9/2--started last year). If you're ever in the Philly area, come check them out!