Eleven years old...

ttriventtriven Senior Member
edited February 2016 in General Discussion

Stumbled upon this article today. I would never ever have tried this at 11 years old.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35341642

Tagged:
SpacemanspiffDanSimonelli

Comments

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Very, very cool article. But what's up with the black & white photography?? Makes it seem like they had to be careful to avoid Luftwaffe on firebombing runs or something. It was 1988, for crying out loud!

dpm50tortuga

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

It's a mistake to start looking at the accomplishments of 11-year-olds. There are 11-year-old boys and girls swimming sub-18 minute 1650s these days... ouch.

I have an 8-year-old buddy (he's hefty for 8, turns 9 in May) who is really taking off with his swimming, getting big time drops at every meet. He's already faster (at least over a short distance) than many of the lap swimmers that swim at my pool. I'm sure he'll be beating my butt in the pool when he's 10.

I'm hoping to get him into Puget Sound this summer. He's too young to participate in many of the OW events in the area, but there are a few USMS events that have a dual sanction with USAS, so I'm hoping to get him interested and participating.

IronMike

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.