New Menorca Channel record

ToniHuguetToniHuguet Ciutadella (Menorca) SpainMember
edited January 2016 in General Discussion

This past summer, the 21 of September of the 2015, Christian Jongeneel, beat the Menorca Channel record, 37,11 km with a time of 9:24'48" congratulations!!!!
12002999_10205947186971727_7614492572167516516_n
12074878_10206652854993523_1529897246673864608_n

Tagged:
evmoDanSimonellitortugaKatieBun

Comments

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

Hi! Do you have some details about the cost and conditions to arrange a crossing of Menorca?
    I see the website, but there's regulation and no information about logistic (minim days there, eligible swim)/ cost/ water conditions (currents/temp/animals there..), minimum time in advance to book etc. i would prefer asking the association when I have a serious intention and sharing here would help others interested in the future, as well. TY, Bogdan

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

In 2017 I sent them an email asking for similar questions. They answered the next day, saying "we'll send all the info in October" (that was in September). I chased them 3/4 times, but never got any other mail from them.

I've been told (by people who know them personally) that they are very willing to help and give information. Perhaps I was not lucky, or didn't insist enough...

As for water conditions: currents shouldn't be an issue, occasionally you may found some, but not relevant (and of course no tides); animals: jellyfish often found, usually the noctulica (not dangerous like box jelly, if you are stung by 2 or 3; but they hurt, and finding a shoal (do you say this with jellies?) would compromise the swim (they bloom in spring); temperature range is approx. 11 to 25ºC. I don't know any temperature database for Menorca, but this one for Barcelona would be very similar (it shows week of the year vs. temperature in ºC; black line is mean temp., blue line is actual temp. in 2018):

http://marbcn.blogspot.com/2019/01/tam-barcelona-2018.html

@bruno Thank you very much for your response. It covers very well all my questions.
    I was discussing with my wife this morning, before reading this, that this would be a very nice family holiday place also. It has all the advantages. I don't see why there have been so few swimmers there.
    Kind regards,

• edited January 2019
    @BogdanZ Buenos dias la informacion de la pagina esta actualizada y en ella encontrareis un apartado para pedir toda la informacion que necesiteis, . Un saludo

@Framcisco_Pons said:
    @BogdanZ Buenos dias la informacion de la pagina esta actualizada y en ella encontrareis un apartado para pedir toda la informacion que necesiteis, . Un saludo

Framcisco I wrote them a message. Will see how it goes. Thank you for your response.