What are Your Swimming Goals for 2016!

SilkySharkSilkyShark Member
edited January 2018 in General Discussion

Last year I was so happy to come across the thread on 2015 swimming goals that I thought I would kick it off this year. Honestly, writing down your goals is the first step to making them a reality. I achieved all my swim goals in 2015 including the Alligator Lighthouse Solo, which due to insufficient training became an epic mental feat. But wow, what a feeling at the finish line! I still need time to figure out my goals this year. But I know everyone's comments will provide inspiration. Bring it on!

Tagged:
evmoLeonard_JansenloneswimmerNoelFigartsuziedodsbluemermaid9Leslie

Comments

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member
    edited January 2016
    • Son of a Swim in Lake Memphremagog this June.
    • Swim from Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park this August.
    • Complete at least 150 miles swum this year.
    • Stop blowing off practice! Can't afford it because of the first two items on the list.
    • Learn to sight better
    • Be more trusting of the kayaker's navigation if I have one. (Because of the differences in sight angle and because I am a damn control freak, I've constantly disagreed with my husband's kayak navigation when I would have been better served just to put my head down and swim.)
    suziedodsLeslieJSwim
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

I'm now more than a year out from major shoulder reconstruction, but still in the midst of a very demanding graduate school program. However, my distance (and speed) have been improving quite a bit and I'm ready to admit I want to try for a 10K this summer. So my primary swim will be Kingdom 10K in July. In a perfect world, I'll meet or exceed that goal. In a more realistic world, I suspect I will be damn well trained for multiple 5Ks this summer.

A few more years to go and then I can have my swimming life back. And hopefully I'll be in a job after graduation with a regular schedule and a pool with a normal schedule :-D And HOPEFULLY in two years I can attempt the New York Bight swim, because that one has me salivating!

suziedodsbklynmermaid
  • nugent44nugent44 Louisville, KYMember

FKCC Swim Around Key West! Will be my first race over Ironman distance (2.4 miles) and only second in the ocean. #whathaveigotmyselfinto

bluemermaid9Leslie
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Complete my lake Issyk Kul attempt (13.2K).

Other than that, not much. We're moving in the summer, so can't plan anything.

NoelFigartJSwim

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Miami 10k in April - I want to drop significant time off from my first time doing it as a training run for Key West 2 years ago. New, great coach is helping me out with that goal.

St Croix 5m - Did it last year and felt great, but feel like it's unfinished business. I want to really kick it's tail next year.

2018 I turn 50 and have my eye on possibly doing Rottnest so 2017 will be about getting qualified for that, just in case. You guys on here have inspired me for that one. The one and only thing that scares me about that one is all of the boats out there! Holy moly, between the kayaks and the boats, it looks like chaos!

bluemermaid9Leslie
  • Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

In my mind: Tampa Bay, End-Wet, SCAR, Chesapeake Bay and Rottnest.

In reality: St. Croix, a local 10k and a bunch of long training swims. But also training up to attempt to swim my age.

KNicholasflystormsSpacemanspiff
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

My goal is to see how far I can swim in open water and still be happy.

IronMikeNoelFigartdc_in_sfnabilraddpm50
  • I'd like to get in the water.
    Seriously..
    I've been in twice in 10 days.
    Oh and have the 24 HR go off safely. ( just jinxed it I am sure)

IronMikeevmoj9swimbobswimsRobertPalmese
  • I am still working on coordinating the dates and training involved in all the various events. With that said I am hoping to swim:

June: Central Illinois Open Water Swim (2.4 mile)- hoping to kick its tail!
    July: Lucky Duck 5k in Ohio
    July: Great Lake Plunge 6k
    Aug: Swim to the Moon 10K
    And fingers crossed -
    Nov: Swim Fort Desoto 6.5 miles

In between I am going to try to do as much open water work as I can, and my personal goal is to conquer my fear of Lake Michigan... darn lake hates me...

bluemermaid9evmo
  • bluemermaid9bluemermaid9 Boca Raton, FL, United StatesSenior Member

Last summer I completed GCBS 4.4 and got so totally hooked on long distance swimming that I decided to retire from triathlon. After all, I did the triathlons for the swim. My basic goal is to continue to work on improving the efficiency of my stroke and remain injury free by doing weights and yoga. I have three races in mind: Swim Miami 10K, GCBS 4.4, and StS. If I don't get into StS, I might attempt Alligator Lighthouse solo. It's a gorgeous swim, but that warm water scares me.

Thanks for asking, @SilkyShark .

evmoflystormsLeslie
  • graciescgraciesc Santa Cruz, CaliforniaMember

Hopefully this will be the year! It will be my first real big swim. I have done multiple 10k and 5k but this summer I hope to complete a trans Tahoe and possibly a relay across the Monterey Bay! Who knows, maybe I'll even go for Ana Capa! Good luck to everyone this year and i am so excited to hear about everyones swims!

evmoCamilleTheo
  • ChrisBChrisB Issaquah, WAMember

I have a few goals this year. One is to stay healthy, of course! I also want to complete, at the minimum, a 10K but if I do that early enough in the year I'll aim for a 10+ miler. Third is to accomplish an unassisted (no wetsuit) swim in water below 64F. Lastly, enjoy every minute I have in OW!

evmo
  • After shoulder issues derailed my Rottnest Channel Swim solo for Feb 2015 (DNS), I've been trying to carefully increase the swimming training after 3 months off. Only back to 3 x 3.5km per week at the moment, and at about 20% slower speed currently. The goal for 2016 is to increase volume/speed "g-g-r-r-a-a-d-d-u-u-a-a-l-l-y-y" to be able to target a 10km swim next summer. N.B. It's currently summer downunder but I'm targetting "next" summer at the end of 2016.

gw

flystorms
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

this year my primary goal is to see how back to back marathon swimming feels with a couple of stages of 8 bridges. i chose this because i have a goal to do all the stages over my lifetime, to set me up for SCAR down the road, and because its absolutely my favorite water to swim in! I'm also hoping to win the lottery for BLS (since i'm not winning powerball) and will be swimming lake george relay (woowoo!).
    but as always my overarching goal is to swim happy and pretty with nice people and to support others.

ChrisBthelittlemerwookieswimrn62suziedodsnabilradKNicholas
  • Swim to the Moon 10K in August, my first 10K! My goal is to push myself and race it rather than just finish it.

I'm also going to be in New York in July so I want to swim with CIBBOWS while I'm there, get my first taste of open water swimming in the ocean.

JustSwimrosemarymintCamilleLesliethelittlemerwookieJSwim
  • SilkySharkSilkyShark Member
    edited January 2016

nugent44 said:
    FKCC Swim Around Key West! Will be my first race over Ironman distance (2.4 miles) and only second in the ocean. #whathaveigotmyselfinto

Nugent44, I would recommend you look into the Swim Around Key West, not the FKCC. I have swan both and posted my experience on this blog. The swim around key west is significantly better organized and the safety measures are miles ahead of FKCC. It also attracts more swimmers which makes for a really fun swim & after event.

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member

Return to marathon swimming after 3 years on land by swimming Anacapa this summer.

KNicholasIronMikeevmoDanSimonellisuziedodsdpm50
  • LeslieLeslie TexasMember

I signed up for Ocean City's 9 miler. Still considering StS. Is that crazy??

FrancoJSwim
  • edited January 2016

Leslie said:
    I signed up for Ocean City's 9 miler. Still considering StS. Is that crazy??

Not crazy at all! Go for it - STS is a wonderful event!!

Leslie
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@Leslie, make sure you stay up till midnight to sign up for StS. That wonderful race sells out quickly!

Leslie

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

No need to stay up late, registration starts at noon 2/1

IronMikeLeslie
  • LeslieLeslie TexasMember

On it!! Has anyone ever swam multiple marathon swims in a 3 month period? I am curious about the recovery period. OC is in July..the 16th and STS is October 11th.

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Leslie said:
    On it!! Has anyone ever swam multiple marathon swims in a 3 month period? I am curious about the recovery period. OC is in July..the 16th and STS is October 11th.

No problemo. If you can do it in July, you can do it in October. Assuming no injuries, you could probably do it the next weekend. @DanSimonelli just did back-to-back Catalina crossings a couple of months apart (with jalepenos in his tacos, no less).

LeslieJustSwimChrisgreene

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

Leslie said: Has anyone ever swam multiple marathon swims in a 3 month period?

Try 8 Bridges, you can do 7 in a week

:D

gregocChrisgreenesuziedods
  • I'm on a relay team for the English Channel in July. Have a look at my blog if you like...Naramatablendblog.wordpress.com

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

Leslie said:

2010.... Triple crown over 82 days. I was 45 yrs old. I found it to be plenty of time to recover between big swims, but my focus wasn't (and isn't) on speed. I wouldn't recommend such an ambitious schedule to anyone who might be upset if they miss their target time by an hour (or 6)

IronMikeevmosuziedodsbluemermaid9

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• andissandiss Senior Member

Finish my master so I can start swimming more again!

Then aiming to do a 10km in August

tortugaFlowSwimmersIronMike
  • msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

I was thinking i might re-attempt 105km lake swim. Last year I got quite sick and had to step out after 22 hours.

I am also wanting to explore some of British Columbia's northern waterways so hope to do a 50km swim from Ocean Falls to Bella Bella. This one will likely be staged as it more about exploring the water way through swimming.

tortugadpm50Spacemanspiff
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
    edited February 2016

Great bunch of goals!

Mine--similar to last year's but...

1. In Great South Bay Swim (God willing I'm healthy), (a) swim it; (b) swim it faster than last year; and (c) (dare I even say it?) break 3 hours. Scored a personal best last year, something I haven't done as a runner for YEARS! Lots of variables, though, so I'm also thinking of process goals: better stroke, efficient feeding, stuff like that.
    2. If accepted in the lottery, BLS. If not, I plan to volunteer, so I can do it in 2017. Goal there: finish. It would be my longest swim to date. Getting nervous as March and the lottery get closer. Last year, although I didn't make the lottery, a friend got me into his relay team and it was an awesome experience!
    3. Valley Forge Marathon Swim. I reached 7 miles of the 8 mile distance last year, but my left arm went on strike--as in, couldn't lift it to take a stroke (weird b/c I could swim with mild discomfort the next day and normally a few days later--wondered if the pain had been mental). This year, if I don't get into BLS (and even maybe if I do), I want to swim this and finish They're only about two weeks apart, though, so there's that. Whatever happens, I do plan to be involved in some way, whether in the relay or as a volunteer.

I'll be doing some shorter open water swim races, of course, but these are the big three for me.

Underlying goal to support all of these swims: better training, more strength work (core, upper body), cold water acclimating (I'm typically fine w/ mid-60s and above; low 60s and I can swim but my body mutters darkly, 50s I'm still in a wetsuit, but I need to wean myself away from that), and mental preparation. As a wonderful running coach I talked with several years ago said, "train hard; be patient; results will come with time."

tortugaNoelFigart
  • RoelRoel Boxtel, the NetherlandsMember
    edited February 2016

Goals for this year are the following four:

• Swim my first 10k
    • Start swimming with a higher tempo group at my masters swimming club
    • Swim a relay 24k event with a team of 3
    • Swim some fun events in the 1 to 5k range
    evmo
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

msathlete said:
    I was thinking i might re-attempt 105km lake swim. Last year I got quite sick and had to step out after 22 hours.

I am also wanting to explore some of British Columbia's northern waterways so hope to do a 50km swim from Ocean Falls to Bella Bella. This one will likely be staged as it more about exploring the water way through swimming.

@msathlete , when you stage a swim like this, do you get out and camp, get a hotel, or come back at another time?

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

@Spacemanspiff the 105 is not a staged swim so no lodging required, although we will be starting from a remote spot so will need to camp the night before :)

For the inside passage the swim is very remote, in the great bear sea, and the water a bit cold, so it will be stage. I don't believe there are hotels, at least not along the route. So for this one we will camp on small islands (to avoid bears) along the way.

• Sarah4140Sarah4140 DenverMember

New to this group--love reading what your goals are! I want to swim my first 10k this year. Have raced at 2-4.8 mile distances previously. Also hoping to just do lots and lots of open water swimming/exploring in the cold waters of Colorado and Lake Superior! Meanwhile, back to the pool...

FlowSwimmersIronMikeNoelFigartwendyv34tortuga
  • My goal may not be achievable at this point, but I still plan on chasing it:

Following a Tahoe swim in 2014, and Catalina swim in 2015 I had hoped for an EC crossing in 2016. Unfortunately as December closed in, I realized I just wasn't organized enough to make it happen - as it's not something I can commit to without doing as much as I can to feel personally confident in my success.

So instead I decided to aim for a yearly yardage goal. Train and save - and prepare for a (hopeful) 2017 EC swim.

My 2016 goal:

1.5 million meters.

If I averaged 3 miles a day (or for easy math 5000m) for a year that would be 1,825,000 meters. But I knew I wouldn't swim everyday, so margin of error...

Well I'm definitely behind schedule. I had a minor tear in my upper chest muscle from skiing in the first week of January. That sidelined me about 3 weeks. Now I'm battling a sprain in my right hand (it's not keeping me out of the pool, just slowing me down! ).

I'll get back on track. I'll pick up the yardage. I'll hit SF Bay. I'll get my distance. I'll be ready next year. But for my 2016 goal? Well, one meter at a time! :)

NoelFigart
  • RobertPalmeseRobertPalmese San Diego, CAGuest
    edited February 2016

Goals:

Stay healthy and positive throughout training.

Have fun training in La Jolla Cove.

Raise funds for Cystic Fibrosis.

Meet new and awesome people in my training trips. (San Fran here I come)

Gain super powers that repel jelly's and create a perfect 70 degree water bubble around me at all times.

Make my family and friends proud.

Complete 1000x100 in 5 days.

Complete the first triple crossing of the Catalina Channel.

dpm50NoelFigartFlowSwimmersJustSwimLeslieSydneD