15 mile Crazy Swim - 5 December in State College, PA

And now for something completely different...

Martin Turecky is holding his annual "Crazy Swim" on 5 December in State College, PA - home of Penn State University. This year it is 15 miles in the YMCA pool. This is a fun, laid-back "race" and the price is right - I've done it twice and recommend it highly. They have space for 16 solos or relays. Here is the text of the letter Martin sent out:

6th Annual CRAZY Swim
Swim 15miles in 2015

Dear Swimmers, friends

This tradition has started in 2010, when eleven swimmers completed 10 miles, every year we add one mile and this year you can enjoy EPIC 15 miles long swim. If you are thinking about long open water swims, this is great and safe way to test your abilities and endurance. If you are craving long swim in winter, this is the best practice. If you just want to do something crazy, this is fantastic opportunity.
The event will take place on Saturday December 5th in the YMCA of Centre County, 677 Whitehall road, State College, PA. We will fill the event in the order we will receive online entries. Do not wait with your entries for last minute event will be posted also on YMCA web pages and can fill quickly. Entries have to be completed prior November 28th. There will be maximum of 16 individual swimmers or relays; relay can have up to 7 members.
Swim will start at 1:30 pm. At 1:00 pm you will be required to attend the rule/safety meeting. Swimmers will be allowed to leave the pool only for bio break. Feed/drinks are to be taken while standing in the water (shallow end of the pool). You do not have to swim continuously; you can develop your own strategy to reach the target. However the swim has to be done in 1000 - 3000 yard increments/sets. Swim has to be completed within 9.5 hours. No paddles pull buoys, no kick boards and no fins are allowed.
Every swimmer will receive an official certificate with achieved distance and time regardless if he/she decides to finish the event prior achieving full 15 miles or does not complete the event within 9.5 hour limit.
You will be responsible for counting and flipping counting sheets provided a simple random auditing procedure will be explained in the briefing prior to start.
Entry fee is $85 for individual swimmer and 160 per relay and will benefit members of YMCA learn to swim program. Entries have to be made on YMCA web site:
Individuals: https://ops1.operations.daxko.com/programs/redirector.aspx?cid=2025&pid=88310&sid=1957580
Relays: https://ops1.operations.daxko.com/programs/redirector.aspx?cid=2025&pid=94446&sid=1957643

I will receive email when you complete the registration. I am looking forward to swim with you! Please sign up as soon as possible it will allow us to order accurate number of giveaway items and right amount of refreshments etc…
Martin Turecky

Be there or be square.

• LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

I'm goin

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Conflicts with my work schedule or I'd go and aim for a distance PR (not necessarily 15 miles). Good swimming to all who join!

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

Interesting, don't know if I could make it this year but will have to put it on 2016 calendar. I swam at PSU and swam YMCA in Centre County growing up so this would be a fun swim for me.

I hope this is offered again. Might also look into it for next year....though lately I've had issues with chlorine so I'd better up my supply of Benedryl if I take this on!

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Unfortunately, Martin has said that this will be the last one, so it's this year or never.

I'm going, but the goal is only half of it - the blood clot in my leg really curtailed my training.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Sorry to hear of the blood clot, Leonard--and also that this is a once-only event!

Maybe I should see if our coach would hold something like this--although again, that distance in a pool is going to make me a candidate for industrial strength Benedryl!

Like you, I'd be going for about half the distance, maybe 8 miles so I can just get my body in that territory. I need to so as to know I have at least the distance in my muscle memory. I will say I got to 5.5 miles in a pool--a 25 yard pool, in fact. Same purpose--to complete the distance of a swim I was planning. I was glad I did--but if I'm to move up in distance, that's going to be less and less practical, except for events like the one you describe here.

Leonard_Jansen said:
    Unfortunately, Martin has said that this will be the last one, so it's this year or never.

I'm going, but the goal is only half of it - the blood clot in my leg really curtailed my training.

-LBJ

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

Thats a shame that this is the last year, I was prepared to do 16 next year. Maybe he reconsiders...