Passing of Sandown Guest House's Sonia

emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

Reposting a message Nick Adams posted on the Channel Chat group last night:

"It is with great sadness that Martin has asked us to let the Channel Swimming community know that an hour ago his/our beloved Sonia passed away from her recurring cancer.
Swimming the Channel is never a solo endeavour; the team supporting the swimmer is crucial. They offer unerring love and kindness, and this sums up Sonia to a tee to so many of us.
She will be very much missed by us all."

My crew and I stayed at the Sandown Guest House in Dover back in 2009 for my Channel swim and Sonia and Martin could not have been kinder hosts. They took great care of us, and we were grateful for this support and guidance before and after the swim. The swim was truly a team effort, and they were an integral part of my team.

Since then, I've directed lots of swimmers to stay at the Sandown, and I don't think anyone has regretted that decision. I also had the pleasure of staying there again last September when I crewed for Bill Shipp's Channel swim. It was great to see Martin and Sonia again--a homecoming of sorts--and I'm very sad to have learned of her passing.

Sonia will be missed by many.

Elaine

Stop me if you've heard this one...
A grasshopper walks into a bar...
https://elainekhowley.com/

Tagged:
jendutloneswimmerIronMikedpm50Helbesuziedods