New swim watch on the market

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Just saw this in Gizmag. Haven't done much reading on it yet. Anyone?

Speedo Shine

The Speedo Shine is a new version of Misfit's tiny fitness tracker, which was launched all the way back in 2013. Unlike the original release, the new tracker is aimed at swimming, offering accurate tracking for any stroke type

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Comments

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

One the principal uses for me for swim watches is acting as a lap counter. Since this has no display it is basically useless for me. Seems aimed at the fitness swimmers who want something to log swimming in the same way as steps (i.e. they care about weekly totals of exercise and not actual swim metrics).

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Yep, read more after posting this and I really don't see the use of it. Even my wife's Fitbit tells her how many steps she's walked w/o having to wait to get near the computer. Plus this thing is ugly.

• JenAJenA Charter Member

@dc_in_sf said:
    Since this has no display it is basically useless for me.

Well, assuming you don't want to bring your smartphone to the deck apron... :-)

There's a series of LEDs around the circular device for tracking progress, and the device connects to iOS and Android smartphones via Bluetooth 4.1, working with the company's companion app.

A series of LEDs. How 1982. :)

From: http://www.macworld.com/article/2972753/gadgets/misfit-brings-a-speedo-branded-swim-tracker-to-the-apple-store.html

A set of 12 LED lights around the aluminum face tells users how far they are toward their daily fitness goals, and the device is water resistant to 50 meters.

I wonder if the metal corrodes in salt water...

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited September 2015

I'm currently testing a sample Poolmate2. What you do with it initially is swim a known distance and then set the watch for that. It should use your stroke rate to estimate distance in future. It'll also give stroke rate, along with the previous Poolmate pool functions. I'll have a review in about a month's time after I've used it a bit.

loneswimmer.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@loneswimmer, looking forward to your in-depth review. If you can, please tell me now: Does this test lap have to be in a pool, or can it be anywhere as long as you tell the watch the distance?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2015

photo & amazon links:

Buy on Amazon | Amazon UK

Note: If you enter Amazon through this website, and you buy anything, MSF gets a small commission. This is our main source of revenue to offset the costs of running this site.

Most people buying at Amazon do not enter via a referring website. Thus Amazon builds an extra 1-3% into the prices to all buyers to compensate for the commissions given to the minority that come through referring sites. Whether you buy at Amazon directly or enter via this site, your prices don’t change.

IronMikeJenA
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

@IronMike the test/calibration lap has to be a distance > than 50 metres, so it's almost certainly going to have to be calibrated in open water.

IronMike

loneswimmer.com