How to prevent an osmosis tongue

I'd like to find out from people how they prevent their tongue going into an osmosis state and swelling up on a long swim in salty waters.

What do you take to prevent this happening or minimise the effects?

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

Dilute (25% to 50%) mouthwash solution taken after each feed or hourly. Does not completely eliminate it but does make substantial improvements and makes recovery quicker. I suffer salt mouth quite easily whereas some others do not seem to suffer from it at all, so there is a personal reaction. I asked Kevin Murphy how he dealt with it on his multiple EC crossings, especially his monster 50+ hour triple attempt and he said it was never particularly a problem for him.

loneswimmer.com

• HelbeHelbe Senior Member

Like loneswimmer, I suffer salt mouth after about four hours in saltwater and so take a swig of a dilute mouthwash after each feed. This freshens the mouth and makes it more bearable. Still have horrid blisters and peeling tongue for some days after every long saltwater swim though.

• CoppermillCoppermill TravellingMember

loneswimmer said:
    Dilute (25% to 50%) mouthwash solution taken after each feed or hourly. Does not completely eliminate it but does make substantial improvements and makes recovery quicker.

Mouthwash does work, but it need to be the non alcoholic version, otherwise it will burn your tongue. I use it every four hours, but yes more often may work better

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

I generally agree with @loneswimmer, although I don't bother diluting the mouthwash. Tastes like mint over my feeds a little bit, but that doesn't bother me as much as it would bother my wife.

• Interesting. glad for this tip as I have the Alligator Lighthouse swim coming up and I'm a SLOW swimmer. Prior to reading this, I thought the answer was to keep the mouth shut as much as possible... goes shopping now...

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

HollyT said:
    Interesting. glad for this tip as I have the Alligator Lighthouse swim coming up and I'm a SLOW swimmer. Prior to reading this, I thought the answer was to keep the mouth shut as much as possible... goes shopping now...

Hey, my family and I are flying down for this, too.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I didn't even know what an "osmosis tongue" was until I read this thread and realized I had that experience 5 years ago when I did my slowest Great South Bay Swim. Fortunately,it calmed down by the time of the after party and a couple beers took care of whatever was left of it.

Coppermill