Easy Goggle Mod for Bright Days

I have rotten eyesight and I also can't wear contacts. This means that I have to wear optical goggles but, let's face it, the options for optical goggles are nowhere near what exists for non-optical goggles. Add to that the fact that I have very photosensitive eyes, which isn't uncommon for people with blue eyes. All that makes swimming outside on bright days pretty uncomfortable. Here's an easy, non-permanent goggle modification that I thought up and tried today - it worked great.

I got a permanent black magic marker that said it would mark on plastic and was waterproof (Note: Most permanent markers say "water resistant" - not the same.) I took the marker and CAREFULLY ran it over the plastic (polycarbonate) OUTSIDE of the goggles on all surfaces except the flat part. When it dried (a few minutes), it cut the light down going into my eyes to a great degree; I finished the swim without feeling like my eyes had been bleached.

To remove it, just use rubbing alcohol or alcohol based hand sanitizer (what I used as I had it in the car). It came off completely, easily and left no damage.

Caveats: Don't get sunscreen on the marked area - it will remove the marker.
Don't get alcohol on the inside of the goggles, because alcohol also will remove any anti-fog plastic that might be there.
Make sure the goggles are clean before you try to put the marker on - alcohol works fine to clean them.

My next "trick" will be to try and find a permanent marker that isn't quite so opaque and put it on the flat part to really knock the incoming light back.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

cynswimsIronMike

Comments

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

Just as a heads up, wearing contacts while swimming (you might not know that if you don't wear them) can be playing Russian Roulette with your eyesight. I am blind as a bat myself, and that's a risk I don't take.

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

NoelFigart said:
    Just as a heads up, wearing contacts while swimming (you might not know that if you don't wear them) can be playing Russian Roulette with your eyesight. I am blind as a bat myself, and that's a risk I don't take.

Why? What does that do to your eyes?

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

Increases the potential for sight-threatening infections, basically.

• HollyTHollyT Member

I've worn contacts while swimming for the past 8-10 years. In lakes, oceans and pools. I use goggles that fit fairly well and I've not had a problem. I may be lucky, but more likely I am careful. While it is true that this can increase a potential... just using contact lenses increases the potential for sight threatening infections as well. For the most part, following decent hand hygiene etc when caring for lenses decreases this risk.

Leonard, I never really thought about corrective goggles not being mirrored. I tend to wear the mirrored ones all the time because of my location.