Moloka'i Channel: warm water training tips

aquacaeaquacae Sydney, AustraliaMember

Hi everyone!
I have committed to swim Moloka'i Channel in October 2016, after successfully crossing the English Channel last year.
While I live in Sydney, with summer water temps up to 21-22 degrees Celsius and have swum Rottnest Channel (twice) (prob 22-23 degrees celsius), I am beginning to think about any specific training/acclimatisation tips for what will be a long duration, warm water swim.
I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of good resources/give me advice beyond "learn to drink 400ml every 30 minutes instead of 200ml"!
aquacae

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Hi @aquacae - here's a thread that may be of interest:

http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/552/warm-water-swimming

Good luck with the training, and please keep us updated!

• aquacaeaquacae Sydney, AustraliaMember

Thank @evmo
    Very interesting read: I think the balance between refreshingly cool and so cold you get gastric stasis will be interesting to play with...
    Will have to plan some warm water camps in Whitsundays or Thailand to experiment!

• AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

I have found that when swimming in warm water, taking fluids every 20 minutes has a better impact than trying to consume more fluids on a 30 minute cycle.

evmo
  • there are 2 blogs regarding the kaiwi (Molokai) channel. google Molokai channel swim. we are spoiled in Hawaii and find anything under 78 degrees(F) way too cold. kaiwi will take you an average 14-16 hours to swim. we recommend starting at night usually between 9 and midnight. the winds are calmest then. so most of your swim will be in the dark, and you wont have to worry about heating from the sun.during the swim you can drink cold liquids which might help to cool you. can also put ice cubes in your cap. if you need help with anything, contact me.i am listed on the kaiwi channel swimmers blog. we are here to make your swim easy. aloha linda

miklcct