Nutrition / Feeding Mega-Thread

123457»

Comments

• hpyswmrhpyswmr San Francisco Bay - SERCMember

Th> @ruth said:

@hpyswmr said:
    Any suggestions on a good replacement for Carbo Pro? Looking for something w/o flavor.. as I've
    been using Carbo Pro + mix with your fav electrolyte drink mix + mix with other stuff... Nothing secretive or rocket science on my drink mix.. just been using this recipe for 15+ years and it works for me. e.g. feed every 30 min.

I mix corn starch and water with a flavoring (or not) of my choice. I use 1/4 cup of corn starch (just regular baking aisle corn starch) to 8 oz liquid. If I'm swimming in fresh water I add 1/2 teaspoon of Morton Lite Salt, which is half potassium, half sodium. You might try it, if you hate it at least it was cheap :)

Thank you Ruth! I will try this.
    What I find interesting is soo many different nutrition options out in the market today ($30-60 a trial), but very few have trial packs. So switching nutrition gets expensive fast. I love the idea of being able to try something that already in my kitchen cabinets.
    Will try this.
    Thank you - again!

ruth

@Sara_Wolf said:
    I use Infinit (infinitnutrition dot com).

You can customize it all sorts of ways, and they have GF options.
    Message me directly if you'd like more detailed info.

S

@hpyswmr said:
    Any suggestions on a good replacement for Carbo Pro? Looking for something w/o flavor.. as I've
    been using Carbo Pro + mix with your fav electrolyte drink mix + mix with other stuff... Nothing secretive or rocket science on my drink mix.. just been using this recipe for 15+ years and it works for me. e.g. feed every 30 min.

Would love some ideas on what I can use to replace my beloved Carbo Pro, as you can't buy it anymore???? Love to hear your ideas and suggestions..

I have super sensitive stomach + gluten free (live a GF diet.. not by choice as my internals have made this decision for me)...

Signed
    - Just smile and swim

Thank you @Sara_Wolf! Very much appreciated it! I did send you a private message with my questions. Wanted to get some advice on how to customize this Infinit (infinitnutrition dot com).

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Has anyone used Perpetuem by Hammer Nutrition? I like it because it has Orange Vanilla flavor which are two of my favorite food groups. I think it's popular amongst the bike crowd.

j9swim
  • ruthruth New Jersey, USAMember

@curly said:
    Has anyone used Perpetuem by Hammer Nutrition?

I tried it right before a (low stakes) 5k and it promptly came back up.

IronMikeAngieSwims
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

@abbygirlrose - when and where did you purchase it last? they don't seem to be shipping or responding in a reasonable timeframe. TIA

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

@curly I love Hammer Perpetuem and have been using it for years - my flavor of choice is chocolate since it takes good cold or warm but I really think they make a great product - solid research - lots of years in the business. i think its worth trying a sample packet of.

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

@JSwim I ordered it maybe 2 months ago from their website but I'm not seeing it now ugh

• LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member

omg the "tropical buzz" flavor of tailwind... first time this morning, tastes exactly like "smarties" candy-- could be good or bad, depending on your stance toward smarties, but for me, a definite winner.

• A friend recently recommended Noka superfood smoothie pouches. She used them for fruit/veggie intake when she was deployed in Africa. She said they don't need to be chilled, but taste better if they are. I've got a 5:30 swim this weekend at the lake, so will be testing them out.

• AngieSwimsAngieSwims United StatesMember

@ruth said:

@curly said:
    Has anyone used Perpetuem by Hammer Nutrition?

I tried it right before a (low stakes) 5k and it promptly came back up.

Same. It was Strawberry Vanilla, ruined strawberry flavored things for me for a few months.

@ruth said:

I mix corn starch and water with a flavoring (or not) of my choice. I use 1/4 cup of corn starch (just regular baking aisle corn starch) to 8 oz liquid. If I'm swimming in fresh water I add 1/2 teaspoon of Morton Lite Salt, which is half potassium, half sodium. You might try it, if you hate it at least it was cheap :)

I've done the above as well and was my main feed on a 25 mile swim last summer, completely destroyed my GI tract. I just started using CarboRocket and its fine. I do 1/3 of a serving per feed. Its interesting that lots of folks advocate for not feeding on shorter swims, but I find its really helpful to also "train my gut"

LakeBaggerwendyv34

Correction on my previous post: it’s the raspberry tailwind that tastes like smarties. The tropical buzz is gross… tastes like chemicals

• Update: Noka Superfood smoothie test.

Environment: 5:30 lake swim.
    WAY warmer than I thought it would be. WAY WAY WAY.

FLavors tried: Cherry/Acai and Strawberry/pineapple

Result: meh. Not horrible. But, not quite as refreshing as I'd hoped they would be. Of the two, the Strawberry pineapple was better. They had a bit of a gritty texture, but went down fairly easily. They don't need to be refrigerated, but I'd been told that they were better if they were chilled. So, I had them on ice in a cooler.

They're about 90 calories each, so they wouldn't be a good substitute for an entire feed, but as an interest for your palate, they seem to be ok.

Will try them again, on a shorter (and hopefully cooler) swim.

LakeBagger

New favorite feed: “French vanilla” black tea from Bigelow (2 bags for 21 ounce thermos), plus three scoops unflavored carborocket half evil. Hits the spot if you’re looking for a warm feed and a bit of caffeine

MLambyAngieSwims

@LakeBagger said:
    New favorite feed: “French vanilla” black tea from Bigelow (2 bags for 21 ounce thermos), plus three scoops unflavored carborocket half evil. Hits the spot if you’re looking for a warm feed and a bit of caffeine

Oooooo.... I'll have to try that, or something similar. Black tea does a number on my tummy, but maybe green tea!

Thank you everyone who provided alternative suggestions and I tried a lot of stuff. Really love everyone jumping in and sharing what they do. This was a lot of great information and alternative products to try! Thank you everyone!

Agree with @AngieSwims on using feeds on shorter swims. So I tried a lot of other products on my short swims which helped me narrow things down and find what works for me. Different nutritional products work better for others, so it was fun journey trying different products. THANK YOU AGAIN!

In the end I switched to Skratch SuperFuel and found that reduced the number of scoops + added 1 scoop of the Skratch Hydration Orange for flavor and that worked for me.

I did see CarboPro is back but no thank you! The lack of the company's ability to OWN up to the product not being available had this loyal customer of over +15 years switch to a new product. Since the manufactures completely removed the product from the website and didn't even post a message saying its out of stock and disconnected the phone and lack of responding to email.. I will gladly switch to a more reliable company. Sorry, it's stressful enough training for these swims, I don't need the added headache and games played a company. Good bye CarboPro.

Kari33
  • sarahcassidysarahcassidy Las Vegas, NVMember
    edited September 2022

Has anyone tried Gatorade Endurance Formula Powder? Yea or nay? I'm new to liquid feeds and read through this mega-thread but didn't see any mention of this product.

https://www.gatorade.com/fuel/hydration/endurance-formula/32oz-canister-powder/cherry

[Deleted User]MLamby
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Carborocket is 20% off this through Monday, in case you're looking to stock up. Code: BFCM20 and select free shipping.

marysinger

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• MLambyMLamby Senior Member

@bresar said:
    Has anyone tried Gatorade Endurance Formula Powder? Yea or nay? I'm new to liquid feeds and read through this mega-thread but didn't see any mention of this product.

https://www.gatorade.com/fuel/hydration/endurance-formula/32oz-canister-powder/cherry

I love Gatorade and tried it, but didn't feel it packed enough punch. I mix Citrus Clif Gel + caffeine in with regular old Gatorade and find that it really does the trick, especially for warm water swims. All the best!

So far I really like Skratch Super Fuel. I use the lemon lime then mix it in my shaker (med size) with 5 scoops + 1 scoop of orange Skratch. This seems to work for me. In fact I use to get cramps and now - that seems to be a thing of the past.

One thing I recently noticed was yoga seems to be really helping too. Started this just recently for other reasons.

Thank you everyone for wonderful ideas. I will try the endurance gatorade. Just give is shot just in case I need another backup.

@bresar said:

• MLambyMLamby Senior Member

Magnesium is REALLY good if you are someone who has cramping issues. Worked like a charm for me. NO issues since I started using it.

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

I am heading to SCAR in a few weeks and someone recommended incorporating protein into my feeds for recovery. As I have never tried this in a training swim, I am not planning to add protein to my "during the swim" feeds however I would like to bring some protein powder for a "post swim" drink. I tend to prefer vanilla. Do you have any recommendations for a powder or premixed drink?

• @abbygirlrose said:
    I am heading to SCAR in a few weeks and someone recommended incorporating protein into my feeds for recovery. As I have never tried this in a training swim, I am not planning to add protein to my "during the swim" feeds however I would like to bring some protein powder for a "post swim" drink. I tend to prefer vanilla. Do you have any recommendations for a powder or premixed drink?

Sent you a DM. :)

@abbygirlrose said:

I use Scratch Recovery.
    Chocolate vegan or Horchata flavor (non vegan). I use the vegan just because.

Wishing you a wonderful swim at SCAR.

• FlotsamFlotsam UKNew Member

Did my first 'proper' marathon swim recently on a drink of my own design after reading this forum and other sources: a mix of maltodextrin, fructose, electrolyte and citric acid for taste. In terms of energy it was fine, but after 6 hrs I felt a bit of acid reflux. Also, I could barely sleep that night and I wonder if it was having too much carb during the day (50g/hr during the swim, plus oats for breakfast and pizza for dinner!), which has previously been an issue.

Anyway - two questions:

1) Has anyone used plain corn starch instead of UCAN 'super starch'? My understanding is that the super starch takes longer to digest, therefore gives a more prolonged effect from a feed, but surely not an issue if you have access to a regular 'dose' / feed during a swim.

2) Does anyone incorporate protein into their training nutrition plan to aid recovery? I was listening to a podcast that was discussing the benefits of up 10g/hr, but I can't find the link. I wondered if anyone adds protein powder to regular feeds.

Thanks!

• ruthruth New Jersey, USAMember

I used corn starch (plus flavored drink powder) for a few years. 1/4 cup of starch to 8 oz of water or so. Doesn't really dissolve so you have to shake it before you drink it. It worked for me until it didn't but no harm in trying to see if it works for you--if it does work, it's dirt cheap.

• marysingermarysinger Vashon, WANew Member

2) Does anyone incorporate protein into their training nutrition plan to aid recovery? I was listening to a podcast that was discussing the benefits of up 10g/hr, but I can't find the link. I wondered if anyone adds protein powder to regular feeds.

I use Hammer Perpetuem which has some protein. It feels pretty good (and the chocolate flavor tastes pretty good with salt water tongue). I read somewhere that protein helps make you feel less hungry and less sloshy.