Open water swim groups at or near Seal Beach, Orange County, California

I will near Seal Beach in Orange Country for a couple days near the end of the week. Looking for a swim group that might go out Thursday late afternoon early evening on Thursday 3/19 or Friday morning 3/20. Thanks

Comments

• LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber
    Hi Lakespray,
    There is a group that goes out Thursday mornings. The Sea Monkeys, I think? I'm not sure about the times that you list though...
    It would be best to contact Katie Rowe at:
    Katie "SwimLongBeach" Rowe

:-)
    Lynn
    evmo
  • Hi, newb here. I'm going to be in Anaheim on business the last week of the month. Arriving Sunday and would like to take a work colleague OWS for her first time. Looking for something offering a gentle entry so she wants to do it again.

Recommendations are happily accepted! Would also like to see if I can't do either an early morning or late afternoon swim during the week.

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

Hi @LAJensen, If you don't find a group to join, you can swim pretty much at any time at Corona Del Mar State Beach in Newport Beach. It's in the ocean, but sheltered by a cove and a massive breakwater, so it's really flat and shallow. People are swimming there all day long at some point and if it's warm, the guards are there. I visit OC several times a year as I have family living there, and discovered this place when the ocean was too rough at all of my other favorite spots in Laguna Beach.

Swimmatic
  • LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber

Laguna Beach is awesome! There is a group called "Dawn Patrol" that goes out Tue-Fri at 6:00am at Shaw's Cove.
    Meet at the intersection of Cliff and Fairview at the top of the steps and walk down. If it is dark, wear blinkies on goggles. It is usually a short swim...mile and a quarter, because people have to get to work. No showers (bring a jug of warm water) no bathrooms. Sometimes folks start earlier and that gets posted in the Google group: OCopenwaterswims.
    There are also weekend swims in Laguna Beach that get posted to the group.

evmorosemarymintDanSimonelliTheoSkellytonSwimmatic
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

@Lynnkub thanks for this! I'll make sure I take advantage next time I'm out there!

• SuePSueP Oregon, USAMember

Same question, 2 years and much loss later....Does the info Lynn gave on Sea Monkeys and Dawn Patrol still apply? I'm heading to Anaheim in June, and would love to swim with the locals.

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    edited March 2019

You may be able to look up the SMOG team which is in the Huntington Beach area. I think they do training up and down the coast. http://theswimmechanic.com/#smogg The main guy, Bryan, is one of my old coaches and he's passionate about OW swimming.

• SwimmaticSwimmatic Orange County CANew Member

great information ! Thanks!
    Does anyone know what time open water swim groups start at tower 3
    Corona Del Mar?
    Or Laguna Oak Street
    Crystal cove?