Easy way to mix maltodextrin-type drinks

I haven't seen this mentioned before and I just "discovered" it, but an easy and quick way to mix up maltodextrin-type drinks is to throw in 3 or 4 ice cubes before you start shaking. The ice cubes banging around in the container break up any lumps and also scrape off anything that has settled on the bottom or sides. Keep in mind that you have to account for the volume of water in the ice cubes or you will end up diluting the mix slightly. Also, you can start with slightly warmer water, which helps dissolve the maltodextrin and then the ice cubes cool the liquid down.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• Does that work better than a blender bottle? I swear by mine.
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I use this kinda thing:

Ocaler Stainless Blender Mixing Ball
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    @Leadhyena - I've never used a blender bottle (I've never even seen one), so I don't know. It does work well, though.
    @Tortuga - Neat. I asked a dentist friend of mine if he'd get me some stainless steel orthodontia wire so I could make my own. I have an idea to improve (I think) upon the design.

The nice think about the ice cubes, is that they work well and since they mely, there is nothing to wash other than the usual bottle.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• @Tortuga: that's exactly what's in a blender bottle. My crew simply shakes with one of those in the bottle and pours it into a serving container, and there are no clumps. @Leonard_Jansen: you don't need to make one... those balls are 4 bucks and are totally worth it.
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    Ice is for swimming in, not drinking. Here's a low-tech, ice-free, blender-free option: Swirl the bottle rapidly after adding just enough water to your powder. Nearly all of the clumps will be sheared as the solids dissolve into a viscous gel. Then add water to taste.
    Theodore

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    edited January 2015
    I personally prefer to have my crew keep shaking my bottles until everything's clump free. What else do they have to do? ;-)
    malinakatortuga