So, how was your 2014 swimming year?

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
First 5k? First Channel? First Triple Crown? First Ocean's Seven? Wrestled injury and fought the clock? Small defeats and big victories ... or visa versa?

loneswimmer.com

Tagged:
evmo

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Crap. But 99% my fault due to lack of motivation. Moved to Kyrgyzstan in August and figured my swimming days were over for a couple years, but on 30 December discovered the indoor pool near my work is not as bad as it seemed when I first visited it, and I managed to get back in the pool. So in the end, 2014 ended great. ;)
    loneswimmerAnthonyMcCarley

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• I thought my 2014 year was decent in that I completed my first 5k, a bunch of open water races and a ton of open water training swims. I have upped the ante for 2015 with a 4, 7 and (hopefully) 10 mile swim. While I still miss running this swimming thing isn't half bad.

AnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmer

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average.

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    Loved 2014. Until 2013 I refused to admit to myself that I'd booked a channel solo and felt like a complete fraud who had no right to think it was possible, being a slow plodder who didn't learn front crawl until 40. 2014 was a revelation.......the year I learned that you can be a late starter and still achieve. I hope I don't time out before I've swum all the Marathon swims I'd like to do. Roll on 2015 and Lake Zurich.
    ZoeSadlerphodgeszohojkormanikAnthonyMcCarleyHelbeloneswimmer
  • Broke 400,000 yards, which is a good mark for me. Did not make any progress on open water, which was disappointing and no one's fault but mine. Overall? Meh.
    AnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmerSuirThing
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    2014 wasn't my best year, but maybe my expectations were too high because 2012 and 2013 were fabulous years. My (only) planned marathon swim in 2014 didn't happen and it affected me more than it should have done.

I had some good moments though, knocked 19 minutes off my 2013 Coniston time, so I was rather pleased with that one. Took part in a 3 person Channel relay in "interesting" conditions. Swam various local events from 3.8K to 10K. I survived Cork Distance week, despite swimming through cowpats on one swim and Ned kindly pointing out sharks to me during the TBBC.

I even found time to take a rather nice photo at one point during the year.

Had another flying visit to Ireland for a bit of swimming in August when some very nice people looked after me. This cheered me up hugely at the time. :)

I think that 2015 will be a very good year though, if all goes to plan!
    KatieBunphodgeszohoAnthonyMcCarleyHelbeloneswimmerSuirThing
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member
    Pretty good. Achieved all my swimmy goals except one. Still haven't crewed for anyone yet. Looking forward to 2015's challenges.
    KatieBunAnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmer
  • 2014 was a good year for me. After 2 DNF in years 2012 and 2013 I achieved a personal goal and finished the swim across Galway Bay(13K) in less time than I had set for myself.
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member
    2014 was a great year. I swam 20 open water races, finishing first overall in one, first female in 8 and second female in 3 more. I finished my first 10K, outsprinting a much younger woman in the last 100m. I won my age group at 5K OW Nationals. Most of all, I really enjoyed the time I spent with friends centered around swimming.

In 2015 I plan to complete a ~15 mile solo swim in Puget Sound, crew for a friend on one of his mighty endeavors, break my PR in a pool 1650 and have respectable finishes at as many open water races as I can fit in. I have some interesting swims on my to-do list, which I may or may not get to in '15, Highland Lakes Challenge and Bear Lake Monster being two of them.

In 2016, I'll be turning 50. I'm planning an epic swim season including 10K OW Nationals and hopefully SCAR!

It's time to get in the pool!

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• This year didn't go as planned, but I learned a lot about acceptance, flexibility, and not fueling my training with anxiety.

I had the opportunity to swim across a gorgeous glacial lake in the Grand Tetons, and have pictures that are sponsor worthy to prove it! My first swim at altitude and with my family supporting me, very weird experience. The altitude had me swimming maybe 50 m before I had to flip over and get my heart rate back down. But I did it and it was fantasti.

This was the year that I was going to be a "real" marathon swimmer and swim my first 10k. The official 10k swim did not happen because my build training got derailed by a surprise pregnancy. I learned a lot about swimming though nausea and about accepting that if you can't eat enough to fuel your training, and if all you are doing is lying around your home and dreading your training, it may be time to revise goals. My DIY 10k swim got derailed by a funeral and dropping water temps that were giving me visions of my poor inner child swimming frantically "in utero" trying to stay warm. I know, silly, but there it was.

But I did revise some swim plans and swam the entire Highland Lakes Challenge(1 mile distanes) again, but this time pregnant. Most of the world doesn't swim at all, so I'm pretty proud of pulling it off tandem and handling the logistics of food and rest to race 5 days in a row.

I also swim almost 600 miles this year, half of that pregnant. So I'm calling it a badass year.
    KatieBunJonMLwendyv34IronMikej9swimpavlicovAnthonyMcCarleymolly1205loneswimmer
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
    Interesting to read all the different stories and achievements! Thanks for the shares!

I was happy w/ my swimming year! I participated for the third time in 7 years in the Great South Bay Cross-Bay Swim, and my time this year was almost 40 mins. faster than the previous time I did it (although 16 mins. slower than the first time--so I want to PR this year!). 2010 I was way undertrained so I wasn't expecting too much and didn't get too much but scratched and clawed my way across (not literally but you get the picture). This year, I worked with a wonderful coach who, besides assigning some killer workouts, also gave me excellent feedback and tips on my technique and on nutrition, etc. Plus, he hosts several short open water races during the summer and weekly open water practices, which meant that by the time I got to the race, I was much better prepared. I'm not fast, probably speed just isn't in my wheelhouse, but I keep on working at it and make gradual improvements.

Really cool thing about my coach is that he encourages my goals--doesn't write them off b/c I'm not fast--and that by itself is huge. He also keeps raising the bar--believing in my ability to stretch further.

After my bay swim, during which at one point, I SO wanted it to be OVER, I decided that my next goal would be the Boston Light Swim--not this year--I still want to improve my speed so I can make the cut-off--but next year. This year, I'm looking to do the bay swim again at the pace I need for the BLS cut-off. I also want to try one other longish swim, maybe one in colder water. The bay temp typically is about 70-75, pretty comfortable--I've been able to do some colder water swimming during the weekly o.w. swims, but need to develop even more tolerance. Just for fun, I did my first Polar Bear Plunge on New Year's Day (was told the water temp was 37!). Was going to swim a few strokes, but the water was so muddy and the footing so unstable that I contented myself with just ducking under and getting entirely wet--mildly disappointed that I didn't make the attempt to swim, but I figure that will come. I didn't feel as cold as I expected--just a little uncomfortable but more b/c of the mud than b/c of the cold.

I'm grateful to have the health to swim--so many my age have health problems due to smoking and such--and I hope to keep up the momentum, not let age be a barrier!
    j9swimAnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmer
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member
    i had a great 2014 - my first year of being a true marathon swimmer! this was my 5th year of swimming - in 2010 i swam 1 mile in the Hudson River and in 2014 I was successful in completing Ederle, 17.5 miles on a perfect summer day from NYC to NJ. I also had my 1st real DNF in the Hudson - Stage 6 of 8 Bridges, which was still an amazing accomplishment. I had swam longer and farther that day than i ever had before and loved every minute of the swim and the party afterwards.
    2014 was also my first year of tracking my miles - and i swam over 500 between the open water races, chelsea piers pool, riverbank, and lots of hours at Brighton Beach with CIBBOWS. I'm lucky to live in NYC - not for the museums, restaurants, or broadway - but because of the amazing and diverse open water swim community that stretches across ages and abilities - but unites us in our love of jumping in the waters surrounding us. I also did my 1st wild swimming sneaking into the Harlem river one afternoon. in 2015 i hope to sneak into the Hudson.
    I am so incredibly thankful that i stumbled upon this weird little sport which now defines who i am - not my job or my demographics - but my swims! Like @dpm50 i was lucky enough to find a coach who believes in me regardless of my lack of experience, speed, or any natural abilities here, but he does get my passion and commitment to swimming and the joy the water brings me.
    I'm really excited for 2015 and the places i'll go! I'm going back to the Hudson for Stage 6 , I'm traveling north to check out the Kingdom swims in Vermont and what its like to go distance in a lake, a Catalina relay - swimming in the dark in the Pacific with all those big critters...this one will test me psychologically , and my go big or go home swim of the year is MIMS. Somehow Morty has figured a way for the slow girl in the slow lane to have a shot at successfully completing this iconic swim around the island i call home. I'm pumped for this!
    and i'd like to say thanks to the Forum - its so cool that all this wisdom, experience, and support gathers in this one place for the sole purpose of sharing....and maybe a little bragging :)
    dpm50AnthonyMcCarleyHelbeloneswimmerDanSimonelli
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
    J9Swim--from another slow girl in the slow lane, you....ROCK! That's awesome that you did Ederle, 8 Bridges, and are now planning MIMS! Wishing you success in your quest! You're leaps and bounds ahead of me, but rather than envying you, I salute you! I love that you're conquering those distances. Gives me hope that I can extend my range even more. Doing it gradually b/c I'm also a runner and enjoy that just as much. But I'm definitely keeping my sights open. I'm grateful I've gotten into swimming b/c during running injuries, I still have a sport to be passionate about--and if I should get injured swimming, I have running. Win-win situation ha!
    j9swimAnthonyMcCarley
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    Only 2 years back into swimming and discovered OW swimming. I LOVE it, well, okay, the warm races. I'll probably never get used to the cold water. Had a great year this year training for and doing fairly well at Swim Around Key West. Found a great coach who helped me get the stroke right and continue to improve. Now I'm coaching some triathletes and am having a ball. Love this sport!
  • Kevin_in_MDKevin_in_MD Senior Member
    Well, the lumbar discectomy I had in 2013 didn't take. Tried to suck it up through the 2014 season. It did me in at Tampa and did me in At Kingdom Swim after about 40 minutes.

I had a lumbar fusion in September and hope to be back swimming, probably not competing at anything resembing the same level in 2015. But I hope to be back out there!
    AnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmerSuirThing
  • andissandiss Senior Member
    Good year - sold all my triathlon gear - bike, spermhelmet and wetsuit!

Equals more time around the house = happy wife = happy life! :))
    flystormsAnthonyMcCarleySpacemanspiffloneswimmertortuga
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Incredibly mixed bag for the year. I finished END-WET which was the major goal, so that was good. Then I got pneumonia. Then I got a massive eye infection. Then I got pneumonia again (about 1 month after the first bout). Then I got a nasty infection in my leg. It turns out that I was bleeding internally (again) and was down to about 54% of the blood I should have had in my body. That caused my immune system to be way whacked up which allowed the pneumonia and infections to occur. By the time this was all sorted out it was October, so END-WET was the only race I got to do. The good news is that I didn't end up hospitalized this time and they have finally figured out why I keep trying to bleed to death. I am on a program to control the bleeding and increase my hemoglobin. It is definitely working and I realize now that it has been at least since 2008 that I have been in a race where I've had anything even approaching normal hemoglobin levels. It will be nice to swim this year and not feel like I'm dying with every stroke.

-LBJ
    AnthonyMcCarleyIronMikeloneswimmer

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    No big swims for me in 2014, just the very fun Boston Light.

Decided against Catalina when I realized I was not putting in the required training, but did manage to get swim 491 miles in the end after the slow start to the year.

Looking forward to Rottnest again in 2015 and whatever else seems realistic given everything else that goes on in life (but am aiming for a full Donal i.e. a million meters swum)
    dpm50AnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmer

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• For the 1st time kept a log of training/swimming, 952km. Hmmm, could have cracked 1 million metres but have been somewhat derailed by shoulder issues since August. Reduced volume/intensity and gradual rebuild "seemed" to go OK a few times, but in all cases ended up re-aggravating the shoulders. Latest setback New Years Eve (morning) beach swim. Desperate now and seeing a Sports Med Doc tomorrow to plead for a cortisone jab to try and still make the start line for the Rottnest Channel Swim 21 Feb 2015. Hopefully see you there dc_in_sf.

gw
    AnthonyMcCarleydc_in_sfloneswimmer
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member
    At the risk of sounding like an overly positive person or boastful, I have to admit that I had a wonderful 2014 – a year that will be hard to top. Met and spent time with some great people and created wonderful lifetime memories. I did a swim that was the first under MSF Rules, had never been done, and I was told was impossible to do (St John – St Thomas; incredible feeling to complete a swim that has never been done – tingles still). And a swim that I thought was impossible to do (3RMS in Pittsburgh). Pushed my 54 year old body by doing the last two legs of the Triple Crown three weeks apart (completing the TC in less than 12 months). And did a 5th marathon for the year from Anacapa in beautiful, crystal water. I was honored and humbled to be asked to review the newly written MSF Rules before they were published and to participate on this year’s ratification committee. And ended up in the first MSF calendar… I must say, how cool is that?
    KatieBundpm50OnceaRunnerevmoSpacemanspiffdavid_barraDanSimonelliflystormsloneswimmerJBirrrd
  • In a word ... fan-tas-tic! The swims were great, and, although I fell short of some of my goals, still swam 130 miles of open water events, completing some new swims (Skaneateles, Stages 3 & 4 of 8 Bridges etc) and some repeats (SCAR, Boston Light).

But the best of the best was about the great people I met, re-met and swam or crewed with along the way - from the Alcatraz / Golden Gate swims in April with a bunch of 8- 10- and 12-year olds (and some adults!) to swimming a 2 miler on Xmas eve with Roger Finch in the Atlantic off South Africa, it's been a great year.

I set out last December to be the top 60+ year old OW swimmer this year, and to push my limits in terms of distance, stage swims and training. Learned a lot, met the challenges and wound up feeling like I had...an AWESOME year.

Just started training for 2015, and can't wait to see what lies ahead - I love this sport, and I love the people who populate it - thanks all for a wonderful year!
    OnceaRunnerevmodavid_barraAnthonyMcCarleywendyv34loneswimmer
  • RanieRanie Orinda, CAMember
    2014 was my best year yet! I don't think I can top it, and I hope I won't feel the need to. I am 54 and started OW swimming at 49. This year I swam over 1,000,000 meters starting with: Walnut Creek Training Camp in March, SCAR in May, Top Female (on the slow day) of MIMS in July, which completed my Triple Crown/Half Century Club and my induction into the Marathon Swimmer's Hall of Fame. Then I was lucky enough to be invited to try Winter Swimming. I travelled to Argentina for a ten day extravaganza, International Winter Swimming Festival - Argentina and we got to swim in a GLACIER in Patagonia! In November I had fun at Swim Camp Catalina, and to top the year off I went swimming in SIBERIA! The icing on the cake was the honor of being chosen as the Swimmer of the Year by the South End Rowing Club in San Francisco. It's not just the litany of swims, but that I have been instrumental in helping other swimmers achieve their goals and I am willing to skip a swim to pilot for others to get to swim. This was high praise and a huge surprise. The only down side to this wonderful year is how hard it seems to be to pick my next goal...I am struggling with setting a goal, or picking an adventure. Any thoughts would be wonderful. I have done: EC, Gibraltar, Catalina, MIMS, Ned's Long Distance Camp, SCAR, Portland Bridge, Thinking about EndWet and Lake Memphamegog. But would love something in July or August.......
    evmoslknightDanSimonellitomper13KatieBunAnthonyMcCarleywendyv34loneswimmerJBirrrdtortuga
  • Swam about 600 miles, mostly in the water off Boca Raton and Delray in Florida. No races. Some mountain lake swims this summer, which were really wonderful. I have no plans on doing any races this year (maybe never). I do enjoy meeting other folks who are swimming out in the open water. Have made some good friends.
    This year I'm hoping to swim about the same 1M meters. Maybe, if I have a bit more free time and motivation, I'll spend more time working on my other strokes. I probably only swam five miles of butterfly all year.
    evmoAnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmer
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    edited January 2015
    Fun Twenty Fourteen!

Set goal, achieve goal. That was the story of my year.

Trained well and did well at SCAR in May.
    Met amazing people/swimmers!
    They helped me expand my realm of possibilities.

Next planned swim event was cancelled, so I simply continued training and did many long swims in our unusually warm waters this summer.
    Just kept going longer and feeling good.

Observed and supported many Catalina Channel swims and one awesome Anacapa swim.
    Crewed more than Observed this year and really enjoyed it!
    (Always amazing being part of someone's swim and helping them achieve their great goal!)

Also helped a friend by swimming along on his 6hr EC qual swim...and in 54f water temp!
    That wasn't really a planned goal, but great to have achieved it. ;)

Had a blast at Swim Camp Catalina!

And with all the swimming accumulating the miles, I reached (just in time for Xmas) a goal I set at the beginning of the year that seemed fanciful (especially since it was double my 2013 goal): swimming 1000 miles.
    That felt good! :)

Best part: 2014 left me wanting more...so gonna stroke it up a notch in 2015! :D
    tomper13evmoAnthonyMcCarleyKatieBunloneswimmerksmithJBirrrd
  • msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember
    Last year was fabulous! Lots of new adventures. I swam 100km in just over a week at a swim camp in Maui in March, hooked up with an incredible group of friends for an English Channel Relay attempt (and met some super amazing swimmers while there) and then returned home to complete a 68-70km solo swim at Cowichan Lake.

Excited to take on more!
    DanSimonellipavlicovloneswimmer
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member
    msathlete wrote: »
    Last year was fabulous! Lots of new adventures. I swam 100km in just over a week at a swim camp in Maui in March

What was this training camp in Maui that had you swim 62 miles that week? Because I want in!

• msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember
    Here you go @SydneD
    https://infinityswimming.wordpress.com/maui-swim-camp/
    The camp was once to twice a day plus I swam in between
  • Really enjoyed 2014 discovering my limits ending with the Clean Half Hong Kong 15k race in October which exhausted me leading to 2 months off! 2015 will be much of the same but I sense the bigger challenge will be finding training time rather than race time. I loved the swims and the races and met so many great people. Good luck to everyone in 2015.
  • BrendanBrendan Portland, ORMember
    2014 was a mixed bag. I ramped up my mileage and made it into whats arguably "marathon territory". Which was nice, both for my waist line and my general happiness. I did a variety of small- medium lake swims with my father. Including a couple of races that i was happy with my performance.
    However, the main event that I was training for (the portland bridge swim) was cancelled about two hours into it on account of weather. I was a crushed. I was incredibly nervous leading up to it, but when i got in the water it felt like i was flying. I think what upset me most about being pulled out of the water wasnt that i had shelled out a decent amount of money to register whilst unemployed, but that i was doing better than i could have hoped.

In any case, I have high hopes for 2015!
    AnthonyMcCarley
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member
    2014 was a great year. Ran my first 100 miler, swam my first 10 miler (Swim the Suck). This year we're looking at a much tougher 100 mile run and an ocean 9 mile swim. Goal to get my VERY slow swim down to 28 min mile.
    AnthonyMcCarley
  • Good year. 9 Robben Island to mainland crossings including a new record from Llandudno to Robben Island 24km in 7h03m in 14c. Plus , became the 1st South African to swim the length of the Sea of Galilee in Israel. 22km in 30c in 8hr - totally out of my usual cold water comfort zone. Have now completed a record 86 Robben Island crossings .
    AnthonyMcCarleytortuga
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    msathlete wrote: »
    https://infinityswimming.wordpress.com/maui-swim-camp/
    The camp was once to twice a day plus I swam in between

Looks like there is no open water swimming as part of the camp, am I reading the website correctly? All in the pool?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member
    Yeah--that all in the pool thing is not what I expected. Probably great, but I'm seeking the open seas. :)
  • First 5K (local lake swim), first 10K (HorseTooth) first 10 mile (StS) and waaaay too many miles in the pool, nudging 450miles for the year ... not a bad year! Im pleased!

This year, back to Boulder 70.3, that 1.2 mile swim is going to be a cakewalk :) Portland Bridge Swim and hopefully kayaking my wife in StS.
    tortuga
  • Cole_GCole_G PhiladelphiaMember
    2014 was a great year for me. It was my first real year competing as an OWS. I competed in 7 different races (which totaled just over 28 miles all together), and place 1st in my age croup, and top 5 overall in all of them.

I also completed my longest race to date, 10 miles, at the Kingdom swim in Vermont. It was such a gorgeous race, and I can honestly say that after that experience I am hooked.

I think the best part of the year had to be winning the raffle from the Kingdom swim and gaining entry to SCAR for 2015. I can't wait to really test myself at that race.